ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '83 280zx N/A and am looking at cleaning up the engine compartment and possibly adding a little more horsepower to boot. What are some of the pros and cons of bolting on a turbo? (I have access to a cheap '83 turbo manifold and turbo)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Save your costs & time :)

Just bolting on a turbo and turbo manifold???.... It's not just that. Alot more would be required. And I do mean alot more, plus the cost and time.
You would be better off by opening up your exhaust to 2.5 and your cold air induction, even have your head ported and polish with a nice cam along with a 60mm throttlebody. MSD system wouldn't be a bad idea either :) That would be MUCH safer then what your thinking of bolting things to an N/A. If it was that easy there would be LOTS of Turbo's running around :)

My 83ZX was an N/A and the only proper way of doing it would be swapping the whole unit over along with the add parts and wiring that goes with the ZXT's.

Time and Patience and a FSM :)

Donna

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Save your costs & time :)

it is not necessary to transplant an entire turbo engine.. I have a 75 280z it is fuel injected and i bolted on a turbo to my N/A engine no prob. It was alot of work but it is not impossible. I used a 280zxt exhaustmanifold, aftermarket turbo with adapter plate, you HAVE to have a high flow fuel pump, and adjustible rate fuel pressure regulator. D83zxt is right you do need a cold induction and open the exhaust to 2.5". if you dont go above 8lbs of boost the stock engine will do fine. retard the timing a bit, run a step cooler plugs, high octane gas and get a good exhaust temp gauge and a boost gauge. you will also need to install a blow off valve and pop off valve. it is all very doable without a great deal of modding unless you plan on running more than 9lbs of boost, then you are looking at an intercooler, stainless steel head gasket, forged pistons, high flow injectors, aftermarket fuel and timing management, etc, etc... but i did it all for around $1000. but that was doing all the work myself. good luck!
joe75z

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Save your costs & time :)

thanks for the response - I've already got a 2.5" exhaust and K/N air filter, the porting and polishing is a little too much for this winter
2 questions - what do I do to the cold air induction & what's the MSD system (sorry if these are stupid questions!)

·
Registered
538 Posts
lets swap engines---read on

I have a really good strong 1981 280 turbo engine it has a new water pump, new t stat, refurbed injectors, I have done a lot to this car it was wrecked bad side on collission frame is shot.I have beel looking for an other turbo to transplant this engine. I feel really good with this engine.....ok here is the catch my son
in college drives 1983 fuel injected z his engine threw a rod this past thanksgiving I need to buy a nwe rebuilt engine for 1200 to 1500 plus installation and that is too much to spend on a car he will trade off in 2 more years for something new when he can afford new, but for now I need to help him out if you feel your engine is good for another 2 yrs as is so is my turbo it is strong I wish I could trade it off for an even swap for a non turbo. oh yes manifold was machined and re places theexhaust gasget as it was leaking, just had the valves adjusted ad was an excellent car before collision over a year ago. Ins settled with us and we bought an other z the one with a shot engine which I am now trying to replace
e mail me if you have equal engine for swap
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.