ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 240 with a 2.8 motor and 5 speed. I'm looking at the car tomorrow eve. I've not owned a Zcar b/4. What should I look for and is the diff on the 280's stronger than the 240's?. The motor has a cam, headers etc but still uses the twin carbs.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Michael

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well one thing that I can tell you the Zcars are one of the most fun cars to drive they handle like they are on rails. They are fairly simple to work on And there are a multitude of parts available for them, The 2.8 motor is also known as the L28 series engine. The bottom end in those engines are Bullet proof Ive heard of cars pushing 500,000 miles that go for a redo and the bottom ends are like new. There are several schools of thought on the fuel injection VS. Carb I have owned both type of cars. When you get into more than one carb you have the synchro issue with duel carbs but if you get them tuned right they can make lots of power.On the otherhand fuel injection is esier to work with very reliable and with the right tuning can make gobs of power with very litle headache. The last issue to look at with Zcars is frame rust they have severe problems with that and if it has a rusted out frame you will be better off to find one that is not rusted out! I hope that this helps
Dean Maxey

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Sounds to me like a pretty good setup already. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the car already has a R-200 rear end, too. 240s came with the earlier R-180 differentials, which are really pretty good rear ends, but it's popular and easy to swap an R-200 out of a 280Z or ZX in there. If you can find a 3:90 or 4:11 R-200, all the better for off-the-line acceleration. As bujo said, the main 'bug' on these cars is rust. They were very prone to it and the 'cancer' can be so extensive that it weakens the whole structure of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I've heard about the rust b4. The car was owned by the same person for about 15 yrs and it's 90% restored,(so I'm told)

Thanks for the imput. Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.