ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an ad in Autos for Sale that advertises a 215 rwhp 240. That works out to about 265 at the crank.

First of all, what is a Samurai E88 big valve head? Does this make a large difference?

Basically, its got this head, triple 45's and a cam. There is a copy of his dyno sheet on the website.

From what I've been hearing on this site, 250 is about the max you can do on a street n/a engine, and even then it will be a horrible driver. So is this for real or what? If its true, I don't really need to go turbo, because 10 pounds/hp puts me in the range of 911's, Vettes, Cobras, etc.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mattz - I have a Rebello 3.0L (L28 w/50mm SUs) in my 240 that has 209hp and 256 lbs of torgue at the rear wheels. That's 256 hp at the crank. It is very streetable. With triples I could get another 25-40hp (but would have to bother with the tuning). It's the cam that will make or break your desire to drive it on road as opposed to the track (IMO).

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
It is very possible and Mattz you are calculating in too much driveline loss. When I had my engine (2.9L) built it was dynoed, slightly out of tune making 268 hp at the crank. After we installed it we ran it on a dynojet and it put out 237 at the wheels with a little tuning we came out with 243 rwhp so I'm losing between 25-30 hp. This was also using a close ratio 5spd and 3.9 rear that were rebuilt at the same time as the engine, I also had all new U joints and wheel bearings so my driveline is probably as slick as its ever been so that helps. But yeah it sounds possible, I would be concerned with how much they hogged out the head and the interals they used, cause getting an L28 to make these #'s reliably is not cheap and my head is trash if I warp it due to the metal thats been removed from it.

Matt

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Could be true

Sorry Matt,

I was in a bit of a mad rush when I posted my reply, now I am re-reading it, it sounds a bit confusing.

When I say "they" Built Big Sam I am refering to the Company Called Samuri Conversions, who were originally called Race Head Services.

Thats where the Samurai block comes in.

Have a good weekend, time for me to clock off and go home.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Could be true

The head job makes a huge difference in L-engines. To spend about $4000 on head job, you will have a super duper Lengine capable of pumping 300hp+.
I know this because my buddy has a full-tuned L28->L30 with 300hp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.