ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Im looking to change the suspension on my 74 260z, the old stuff is tired and worn out. I was thinking about getting ground control coil-over kits, but there alittle over my budget. It would be great if you all could offer some advice. I would just be using the setup for street

thanks

· Registered
408 Posts
You should certainly lower it some. I think the Z-s in their original position are a bit too high. I lowered my red 260Z (actually I'm in the process...I did the front but not the back yet) but it is really too low. My 72 240 Z is lowered just right. I think it is the perfect height. You can see pics of it on "ZDriver.com". I don't know how many inches it is lowered - but I think it sits just the perfect height - it really looks good. Unless you are goin to be racing - I wouldn't waste the money for a lot of beefing-up. New strut cartridges will work wonders for you. Also, ball joints, tie rod ends, the steering rack bushing, and the control arm bushings.

· Registered
5,961 Posts
For the street just go with some decent struts like the non adjustable tokicos for a real resonable price or step up to the adjustable tokicos for around $135 each. Then get some performance springs, motorsports are good, some like eibach but most end up not keeping them as they sag and are too soft, suspension techniques, ground control also has good springs without doing the coilover conversion.

Unless you plan on adjusting your suspension ride height and corner weighting and autocross or race then the coilovers are somewhat overkill.

Other than that I would do as GBlalock suggested and get everything else in perfect working order - go through the suspension, steering and brakes and make sure the car is safe before you push it. Having everything working as it should, especially good brakes will make you faster than just adding handling parts here and there.

Matt

· Registered
1,713 Posts
POLY! POLY! POLY!

Poly bushings, good shocks will turn 'er into a superb sports car and highway attack vehicle w/o breaking your budget.

Cut two coils w/ torch off stock springs for lowering. Three if you never cross any parking lot speed bumps. Don't cut any off if you want to do rally action ala Baja or Trans-Sahara!

Tokico catridges get my thumbs up! Get adjustable Illuminas if your budget allows.

------------ Al

· Registered
36 Posts
Re: POLY! POLY! POLY!

{quote}"Cut two coils w/ torch off stock springs for lowering. Three if you never cross any parking lot speed bumps."{quote} posted by Al.

how much of a drop will cuting 2 coils give me? what about 3? I think I want to cut 2.5 coils off my 74 260Z I just instaled a set of 195/55VR14 Potenza's and I have like 6" of fender gap. it looks like iv'e got hydros and i'm riding "UP"

· Registered
1,713 Posts
Cutting spring coils...

On my stock 260 w/ Tokico non-adjusts, I took 2 coils of the rear which was way high and 1.25 off the front which was not so bad. The 2 coils lowered it about 1.5 to 2 inches. Top of fender well opening is about an inch above top of tire. Now I'm a bit nose up. Shoulda cut another .5 coils off the front.... Next time I gotta rebuild the struts. Note that the first coil is flattened so cutting the first turn lowers you less than each additional turn.

I believe cutting 3 turns will lower it about 3" and put the top of fender opening even w/ top of tire.

Your exhaust pipe and undercarriage structural rails will thank you for not lowering too much.

Makes me cuss something terrible every time I scrape bottom on a speed bump or such. Makes me wish I hadn't lowered it at all. It's funny watching the ultra-lowered ricers and such driving around in parking lots looking for ways around the speed bumps and road accesses where they won't tear their spoilers off!

Later!
Al

· Registered
36 Posts
Re: Cutting spring coils...

Shayne posted
Air bag suspension is the way to go!! I don't know how easy it would be to do on a Z, but it's badass on my pickup!
Um... bags SUCK A$$ !!! I blew $1700 on a set of fast bags for my Turbo '95 Nissan pickup and they SUCK I got the AIM kit W/ 9 gallon tank, 1/2" lines, 490CFM pump (replace AC comp), 4 High flow valves, A-arme and bolt on 4-link

why bags suck, By Tom

bags are fine if you just want to go Up & down in a parking spot. When you drive in the normal "Up" position with a decent ride. when you go "down" you are just lowering the spring rate and the car/truck gets slopy fast and there is alot of body roll. I would be cheaper to mount a propane torch at every coil sprig and when you want to go "down" just turn 'em on and let her down. The ride would be the samem Slopy. Shayne if you want bad ass take a ride in sombodys ride that has air cylinders they are bad ass. They can hop and even 3-wheel.

· Registered
181 Posts
Re: Cutting spring coils...

I've ridden in quite a few hydro rides... they are quite nice, but they are entirely too maintenence oriented compared to the bags. I've got the bags... the front suspension is stock with the brackets welded in place, the rear is c-notched, with the four-link setup. It rides just fine. Of course, if you raise it, there goes your low center of gravity, and it will handle accordingly.

Shayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.