ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been heavily discussed in the past but I am unclear on a couple things and am looking for some help.

to set the scene, I’m working on an early 74 260z that to me looks like it’s bone stock and has almost everything in the engine bay that it came with. I have two sets of round top carbs and a mostly complete l24 sitting on a dolly. Also this my first Z car and I’m not too familiar with them yet

Neither of the round tops that I have, have the holes on the manifold side of them that I think I are used to circulate water? So if I want to use these carbs should I use the manifold that’s on the l24 that also does not have the holes to circulate water, as opposed to the manifolds that are currently on the car? The l24 manifolds do have a water line going between them though, Incase that is relevant. As a side note, the round tops did not come on the l24.

If I use the manifolds that are in the l24 it seems to makes sense to also use the balance tube that lacks the provisions for the egr diaphragm and such. But if I use the l24 balance tube then what do I do with the two hard lines that are coming out of the balance tube that are currently on the car? Those two hard lines seemingly being used for water and egr. The l24 balance tube has one port at the end of it but that port is currently blocked off and I don’t know what would’ve been there originally, if it would’ve been water or gone to the exhaust manifold like the 260 one.

And on the thermostat housing on the 260, a port is blocked off and I’m wondering what that should go to.

I’ll add some pictures of what I’m referring to and am happy to take more pictures if necessary.

I’m trying to get at least most of the details of this conversion sorted out before taking the car apart, because even though it’s not registered and I’m not driving it around, the car does run and drive and occasionally needs to be moved and that’s obviously an easier task when the car runs.

So if my questions aren’t too annoying, I’d appreciate any and all help anyone has for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

thermostat block off

the 260 balance tube hard line

l24 balance tube with one blocked off port at the end

·
Registered
2 Posts
I myself have a 260z that had the conversion to round tops but with an l28, I have some spare l24 and l26 engines Il go over them tonite and see if I can help with your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have looked over my car and on some other forms and you should be able to use the 260 balance tube and bolt the round tops on to it. Although you will need the 240 throttle conecter that connects both carbs. That pice should conect to the rest of the 260 throttle lines with out problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts