ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 260Z propane? what the ****?</b>

I've owned two propane-powered cars. Both systems were in when I got them. One was a '66 mustang, the other was a '74 Datsun 620 truck. Any carburetted car can be converted to propane. I'm not sure it's possible with a fuel-injected engine, tho.
Advantages to propane: very clean burning (the oil literally never gets dirty after the first few filter changes to get all the old gasoline sludge out), no need to warm up engine since the fuel is already atomized, no fiddling with finicky chokes anymore (same reason -- fuel already atomized), you can breathe the exhaust and it won't kill you (it doesn't even smell that bad), being clean burning, the engine might last many times longer than normal. Had more than 200K on the 289 in the 'stang when I sold it and it still ran great. Final benefit: NO MORE SMOG CHECKS!
Disadvantages: slightly less power (octane is lower or something), slightly worse mileage, propane isn't exactly cheap anymore, conversion costs about $1,000, you have to install a tank like an air compressor to hold the stuff, can't "pump your own" anymore, have to FIND stations that actually carry propane.

My take is that it would be totally impractical to install this system in a Z car since you'd have to mount the tank inside the rear hatch (or be a god of metal fabrication to mount it elsewhere). The little truck I had had the tank in the bed under the truck box; the Mustang had a large tank that took up the entire trunk. The tanks are also heavy when empty and really heavy full. Also, there is no more fuel guage. Now you have to watch a pressure guage, which takes a bit of getting used to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.