ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, here are the pics of my 260Z with power steering. I've no idea how this was done as I bought it like this. It is a 1977 260Z 2+2 Australian spec.

The power steering pump is stock 280zx. The car runs a 280zx efi motor.

A frontal view of the cross member and steering rack. I'm told by a Z wrecker that this is a non standard cross member.

View of rack from driver side (RHD car), that is the side with the pump and steering column on it. They are stock 260Z tie rod ends.

View of rack from passenger side of the car.

Can anyone help me out identifying the rack and any other mods done? The rack is a little worn and i'd like to know what its out of. Also any idea's re the crossmember as well. There is a small marking on the underside of the rack, but i cant read it as it is too close to the cross member.
I couldnt get any good view of the plumbing from up top as its too dark and too many hoses + the oil filter is in the way.

Any ideas on how it was done would be much appreciated!

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
How does it work?

Wow, a first-gen Z that you don't have to lift weights to parallel park. What an idea! How does the system perform? Did you ask your Z guy if the rack was out of a ZX?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: How does it work?

it works really well and provides reasonably light steering. Easier to park too :)

I didnt ask my guy about the rack though. Looks like a very clean install though. I was under the impression that a zx installation would be very difficult to do on a 1st gen Z...

Zman tells me its a 280zx rack.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Fred Sangalang

There was a guy at the MSA show (Fred Sangalang) that had done this conversion on his 240 utilizing some RHD parts for his LHD car. I'd suppose it's more a matter of finding a rack that fits in the stock cradle, more than running lines and pumps. Most of the tie-rod ends on Nissans have the same thread, so if you get it off a Nissan, and it fits in the cradle, chances are it will fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.