ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1974 260z. L26, E31 head, 4 speed manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an early 1974 260z as a project. Has the stock L26 with an E31 head. Did not run when I bought it. Went through and changed out the flat tops it had for round tops, did basic maintenance, and got the car to run, kinda. The car idles very rough, and touching the accelerator kills it. Didn't have any gauges either, so this morning I went through and replaced all of the fuses. Turned the car on, and now I have an oil pressure gauge and the tach pegs to 8k. Car still idles the same, but now the car won't turn off unless I choke the carbs. Any ideas or pointers in the right direction?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think this is a timing issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely needs to be timed, I can tell you that. Was trying to get it to idle and warm up so I could time it. Wondering why after I replaced the fuses it won't turn off with the key. Before replacing the fuses, the ignition switch worked just fine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you know if it has a stock alternator?
Looks stock to me. Has an external voltage regulator. Also, an update. Today I had some time to go check things out. Went out and started pulling fuses one by one to see if I could find which one was giving me troubles. The fuse labeled "Flasher" seems to be the one. When I pull it, I have no power to the gauges, but the car starts and turns off normally? I see on the wiring diagram that it is the fuse that powers the gauges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts