ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a friends 260Z and I can't get it out of my yard until I fix it! (no good deed goes unpunished!)

I have begun to suspect the pick up coil - this is a manual trans car and has only one.
First of all, I have removed the distributor from the engine and am able to twirl the shaft easily. Second, I have removed the center wire from the distributor, have it connected to a spark plug, and to the top of the coil. The sparkplug is laying on top of the head.

This is so I can detect any spark the coil produces.

Now I can ground the points side of the coil, and when I remove the little jumper I do it with, I get a good healthy spark at the spark plug. The transistor ignition, afterall, turns this connection on and off. And it uses a pulse from the pick up coil to do that task, after amplification - correct?

Now if I plug in the pick up coil leads to the harness, I can spin all day long and no spark. However, just as I plug the leads in, I can jiggle 'em about a bit, and I get plenty of sparks at the plug (with no twirl). The same is also true if I intermittantly connect a jumper between the two leads coming from the harness.

I have checked the continuity of the pick-up coil, and find that it has about 600 ohms of dc resistance. While the ohm meter is hooked up, I can twirl the dist shaft, and find that it does seem to induce a bit of current in the pickup coil, as the meter needle moves in time to the tips of the reluctor going by.

Speaking of the recluctor, it feels as though it is barely magnetized, as it has a just barely discernable pull on a screw driver blade.

I'm getting pretty desparate. Need some help! (thanks in advance for any you have)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.