Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Got a question someone may be able to help me with. I have an early 74 260 CA car in which the heater suddenly quit working about a month ago. The blower works but blows cold air and there are no leaks that I can tell. Absolutely no warm air at all even after the radiator is pretty warm. I checked coolant level and condition and it seems OK. All radiator and heater hoses are fairly new, no more than 6 months old. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Paul in Hercules, CA

·
Registered
298 Posts
? Did you slide the lever over to heat?
Also, check to see if your heat activation cable could have possibly came off, or is not activating the diversion valve - to let the hot water flow into the heater core.

? Does your car have Air Conditioning? There is also a vaccum activator by where the outlet tubes of the heater core poke through the fire wall. These vaccum activators may have rusted, or the vaccum line may be off, not allowing hot water into your heater core.

? Lastly - how old is your heater core? It could be plugged up?

? Or, are you down on coolant fluid and don't have enough volume for flow into the heater core?

Just a couple of things I could think of. My vaccum activator rusted out, and was dribbling coolant all over my floor boards this year!

Speed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks kelstar and speed for your replies. I checked the thermostat and it is OK. I believe the heater core is Ok as well, even though the car has the orig unit it has been cared for very well, no leaks there and the system is clean. The car has factory air and the vaccum lines seem OK and no leaks anywhere I can find. And yes, I did slide the lever to heat although I'm not absolutely sure it is moving the cable and the one thing you mention speed is the CABLE, and I haven't got down there to see if it is actually pulling when the slide lever is moved. I will be checking that one carefully. anyone have any additional suggestions please suggest away and thanks again.

Regards,
Paul in Hercules, CA

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just thought about that... on mine, when you slid the lever to heat, the cable just slid in the hole on the other end of the heat lever-so I thought that I was sliding it to heat, but the actual cable itself wasn't moving. Might not be your problem, but surely something else to check out. I have a habit of looking for the easy things first.

Shayne

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do the same thing Shane, check the easy things first. Still haven't taken the heat/air cond grille out to check the tightness of the cable to the lever. It kinda feels loose when I move it but that may be my imagination. Can't make myself go out in the cold and stay there long enough to do it and with the holidays ahead I'm not going to get to it until I get back home shortly after Christmas. Can't believe how cold it has been here in the Bay Area lately. Thanks again for all the assistance in this matter and I'll try to post something when I find the solution.

Paul in Hercules, CA

·
Registered
5 Posts
MY biggest problem that leads to cold air and no heat/defrost is my vacumn lines are leaking. This is usually fixed by checking all of the connections and pushing them back on. That usually gets me back to having heat/defrost and hot air. Don't know if that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.