ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently my '78 280 2+2 was caught in a T-Bone collision with a 196? Rambler. My front end folded against the tires and wedged the doors (thank god for my sunroof) and after the police scene, he drove off. The worst part... He was at fault and didn't have insurance.

Now I am out of luck on transportation (Public Bussing. Yech!) so I started searching around for a new car. To my good fortune, I found a '74 260z Coupe in a junkyard scheduled for crushing. $75 , little rust damage - just the fenders where a grinder and some bondo will take care of it- it has a solid body but I'm not sure of the condition of the engine, trannie or third member.

I'm pretty sure that the engine will bolt in but I was wondering if anybody who owns both vehicles has tried interchanging any of the following:

rear hatch, suspension, gas tank, exhaust, engine, trannie ( the 260 has an automatic, the 280 has a four speed manual), windshield, door glass, center console, seats, third member (the 260 has a R180, the 280 has a R200, I don't know what the ratios are) and rear bumper.

most of these things look like they will transfer over but I was wodering if anybody has any specific hints or warnings. Right now my biggest fears are adding a clutch where there never used to be one and screwing up all the wiring when I transfer the Fuel injection system over.

I would like to extend my grattitude to anybody willing to help and to zcar.com for supporting a very interesting, as well as informative discussion group on what became my favorite car five minutes into the test drive.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.