ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm losing my marbles trying to fix this.

I will send (via email) a $25 amazon voucher to the first person who gives me solid advice on how to fix. Not just here's an electric diagram and have at it. Im in the UK, south coast, otherwise I'd offer you more to come over and point out the **** fix.

Anyway, Datsun 260z 2+2 1976 UK car. First time running in 20 years, so fixing the last few issues.

Temp guage not working.
Tried new sender
Earthed yellow cable to see if temp gauge worked. But no dice.

I'm not much of a mechanic, I understand how it all works and am not scared of taking stuff apart.

Does anyone on here know what to check next? Are there fuses I don't know about?
Do the guages just break? Or is it more likely to he a cable issue? If cable where should I check next? Does the gauge need to be earthed? If so where is the earth cable?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I grabbed this post by Zman from another recent thread about a 76.

Check the fuses at the fuse block with a test light, not an ohmmeter. Make sure that there isn't any rust on the pinch clips for them as well. Check the fusible links in front of the battery making sure that they are all clean and tight. Unplug the sending units and clean the connections thoroughly on both the sender and the wire end. Ground the wire end to the engine, turn the key on and the gauge should peg. Then do the end for the other sender. If the gauges peg then everything is good provided that your sender and the connection is good. If the gauges don't peg with the sender wire grounded then your gauge is suspect. Z man of Washington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I grabbed this post by Zman from another recent thread about a 76.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply

Fusible links. How can I test this?

It also says "other sender" I only know of one sender, the one screwed into the thermostat housing

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 1977 280Z and replaced my water temperature sensor, easy and cheap. Be careful not to snap it off.

You should be able to test this sensor with a multimeter.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts