ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did everyone set up their fuel lines for the turbo conversion? Would i need an FI fuel tank or would it work to just route a return line into the existing 240 tank? Is the current fuel line sufficient for the amount of fuel the turbo engine would need (the steel part, of course the rubber hose isnt up to the task of higher PSI). What fuel pump did everyone use?

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
I used the stock pump at first. Unless you are really getting in to it, that will get you going. The stock pickup size is a problem, and changing the tank to a 75-6/76 tank will make that an easy transition.

I used the stock fuel line for delivery, and the fuel tank purge line for the return.

The 240 tank is not baffled, so you run the risk of sucking air and loosing fuel pressure. There are alternatives to using a late-model tank, though. My FIRST setup used a Holley red pump, taking fuel from the stock pickup, and pumping into the top of an aluminum cylinder in the back of the car. The cylinder was the diameter of a beer can or coil (so you can use coil brackets to mount it). It sits perpindicular to the roadway. The hollwy feeds fuel into a bung I welded into theside halfway up. At the very top, there was a bleed line, same size as stock 240 return line, and it was attached to the tank with rubber hose. At the very bottom of the tube was a fuel pickup bung, the same size as the 75-and later tank. You connect your EFI pump here, and then use the vapor line as your return.

This setup will keep the EFI pump flooded going around a corner, accellerating hard with less than 1/4 tank of fuel in the tank. I got the idea from an old Nissan Competition Prep Manual from the 70's! Come to find out during the Stillen open house, they used a similar setup on the GTS car! They realized you could NOT run the race car out of fuel pressure in the least bit under boost, so their cylinder was almost 3" in diameter, and went from the skidplate to almost the roofline of the car just behind the cabin bulkhead behind where the passenger would sit.

Shocked me! Sounds like a good idea on any car under boost, really.

So that's how I did it. I pulled the tube when I finally got a 75 tank, and didn't think I needed it anymore (as I'd run dry in the 240 tank, so I added it). Now I may reinstall a similar device just for insurance, though I've not had the problem of starvation recur with the later tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.