ZCar Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Where did you find a 240 front clip? I'm blown away by that and the fact that it's $350.

Make sure you know where all the VIN numbers are. You'll want to cut and weld those out if they're stamped into the body. They usually have hidden ones somewhere. Spot patches for moving a fender light is easy.

I'm sure you already know this, but, before you start up the engine, you should dump the oil and filter, maybe even do a flush. Removing the valve cover and spark plugs allows you to adjust the valves, apply oil all over the top and you can squirt a shot into each plug hole, then rotate the engine by hand from the crank shaft bolt on the front. Some like to spray each spark plug hole with some solvent and let it sit, just in case there's stuff on the walls. Then some small moves by hand on the crank.

This also allows you to see the valves moving to see if they are stuck. A stuck valve hitting the piston is not a good thing.

I have an engine that as sit for about 25 years and I'm getting ready to tear it down long before I try to crank it over. No sense in rushing something that can cause a lot of damage to what might be a good engine.

Remember, fuel goes bad and can gel after a few years. Best to flush it all out long before you try to start the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I can't take full credit for finding the front clip as someone on here sent me a PM about where he saw it. I'll put more details about it once it's secured but until then I'm being careful so no rich butthead with their own truck and trailer goes and offers them way more money that I want to spend for it...I'm paranoid lol.

As for starting it I plan on taking all the proper steps and precautions for starting a old motor that has been sitting BUT from what I've inspected so far and what I know about the car I'm fairly confident there's not going to be too many major issues. The car was running and driving in early to mid 2020 which is when it was in the accident so it's only been sitting for less than a year without being cared for. I plan on using an external fuel source I have used on my motorcycle but the fuel still in the filter still looks and smells "ok". Obviously I know modern fuel with ethanol wrecks tanks and lines if it sits for even a few months so it will get a full flush eventually.

On another random note, are there any japanese wheel experts out there? Just picked up a random set of wheels and tires on facebook marketplace for $135 that I really only planed on being temporary (something that holds air while I transport it to shop in Missouri) but I kinda like them and once I saw the markings on the back the JDM fan boy in me went nuts.

So yeah if anyone has any info on these I'd be interested to know because they are kinda rad old school wheels that are authentic Japanese which I'm into. Anyways might make another post somewhere else about these just because...maybe they are just a cheep shitty set of wheels and I'm crazy lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update on progress. New front clip has been secured and has arrived safely in Missouri. Thanks Kickstartjoe for the tip on the Craigslist post about this. Also huge shout-out to Greg and TJ at Ignite Performance in Arvada CO. They were super helpful and did an awesome job showing me exactly what I was getting and packing it for shipping.

Here's how it arrived at my dad's place

Other than that I have mostly been hunting down and buying parts. Here's some what I have so far:

Front crossmember assembly

Headlight

TC rods
Lower control arms
Front strut assembly with rotor and caliper

Also I have been working on the fuel tank. Got it out and got it cleaned up a bit. Right now it's been hit with some rust converter and I'm waiting for a slightly warmer day to paint it and put some undercoat on it. There's some rust on the inside but not a crazy. Gonna hit it with some electrolysis to get rid of it. I'll make another post about that later with the results. I was lucky to find the tank 100% bone dry as well as the rest of the fuel system so the carbs and float bowls are in good clean working order..... however the tank will need a trip to the shop to get welded closed because it was only dry due to a small hole. Oh well.

Anyways once I'll keep posting as I have updates. I think restoring the steering wheel and shift knob will be next after I have the tank sorted out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
More work done on the car. First got some lower control arms in the mail from Canada so they were pretty rusty. No worries thought, a 2 day electrolysis bath sorted them out.

Before

After

Also got the front suspension on the damaged side rebuild enough to get a wheel on there and be able to roll it around and steer so it's ready to be loaded on a trailer and moved to Missouri to get the frame and body work done. Along those same lines I got the extended wheel studs put on so the new wheels now fit properly.

Been getting some small details knocked out like preping the steering wheel for a coat of polyurethane. I already got the shift knob coated and polished up. Can't get the spider cracks out of the plastic so if anyone has any tips for this let me know.

(Check out the complete energy suspension polyurethane bushings still in the box that was in the car when I bought it, BONUS!)

Almost done sanding the old stain off

Last but definitely not least. I GOT HER RUNNING and she is smooth 😎. The only drama with that was a small oil leak but it was from the oil filter so a new one sorted that right out. Now I just need to get the gas tank finished so I can reinstall it and she will be pretty much ready for her long trip halfway across the country. Will post a video of it running as soon as I figure out how lol 😅

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice progress! Is that a carbon fiber wrap on the wheels?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Figured out the youtube thing so here's the first start-up video. Here the fuel lines arn't hooked up, I just had the covers off the float bowls and filled them with fuel....also sorry ahead of time, I'm no great camera man.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,332 Posts
Good reminder about oil filters...they can leak. I've only had it happen once, but the potential for damage makes it important to fire up the engine and check for oil leaks every time you replace oil and filter.

It's great to see how this is coming along and the degree of thoroughness you're using. Nice work!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for y'all's support. I'm trying to just go through it bit by bit and If I take something off it's going back on better than I found it.
Anyways progress with the woodwork for the interior. Couldn't be happier with the results especially because I have never done anything with woodworking before.

Toyed around with the idea of carbon fiber wrap on the spokes (I have a bunch of it lying around and don't know what to do with it lol) but didn't end up sticking with it.....yet....

Center painted flat black.

Ready for some fine sanding.

3 coats of polly and a whole lot of sanding and buffing later she's lookin good.
Without flash.

With flash.

Without flash.

With flash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Been a minute sense my last post but I been busy getting ready to move to japan and what not. Anyways had the gas tank redone by a radiator shop and it turned out pretty good. Also I rebuilt the steering rack and refurbished the cross member and lower controll arms. It's all going to be going back together soon with polyurethane bushings but here's where it's at now.

Inside the tank, they did a really good job lining it.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, this box came in the mail about a week ago 😎🐧🥶

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got the brackets cleaned up, painted and loosely assembled the crossmember assembly and suspension. Almost ready to pack up and send it to Missouri.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts