ZCar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looks like an awesome project! I'd love to have a 240. I'm not sure how I'd fix that front end. If you pull it, one option would be to get the measurements for the front, build a jig and cut it where the damage gets heavy, maybe just about the firewall. Then make a replacement section and weld that in place.

Another is to try and work it. Have a hydro puller at various points in the front, apply pressure and hammer/dolly as you apply more pressure to see if you can unfold things.

I couldn't tell the damage to the fender, but if you can that fixed, you might use that as a guide or buy another fend and attach the fender so you have it as a guide to where the rest should line up.

If you have someone weld a new section in, make sure you check things carefully. I had a rear 1/4 welded in and the guy went by the old weld spots around the door without closing the door to see if they line up. now the door looks like it's open at the bottom and closed at the top. So I have to drill out the welds and move it out about 1/4"

You should make a YouTube series out of this, videos are so much better than pics.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Where did you find a 240 front clip? I'm blown away by that and the fact that it's $350.

Make sure you know where all the VIN numbers are. You'll want to cut and weld those out if they're stamped into the body. They usually have hidden ones somewhere. Spot patches for moving a fender light is easy.

I'm sure you already know this, but, before you start up the engine, you should dump the oil and filter, maybe even do a flush. Removing the valve cover and spark plugs allows you to adjust the valves, apply oil all over the top and you can squirt a shot into each plug hole, then rotate the engine by hand from the crank shaft bolt on the front. Some like to spray each spark plug hole with some solvent and let it sit, just in case there's stuff on the walls. Then some small moves by hand on the crank.

This also allows you to see the valves moving to see if they are stuck. A stuck valve hitting the piston is not a good thing.

I have an engine that as sit for about 25 years and I'm getting ready to tear it down long before I try to crank it over. No sense in rushing something that can cause a lot of damage to what might be a good engine.

Remember, fuel goes bad and can gel after a few years. Best to flush it all out long before you try to start the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.