ZCar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace my water pump and I have reached the point where the pulley needs to come off so I can get to the bolts on the pump.
However, it seems to be stuck. I am worried about using a gear puller as I have damaged pulleys in the past doing this. Is there some trick to getting this off? Wack it with a hammer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don’t believe they are pressed on. I would just tap around it with a hammer. The reason for it being so tight is the pump piece is aluminum and the pulley is steel which make them sort of corrode together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8 / 71 240Z, HLS30-40031, L24-052899, Sunshine Yellow
236 Posts
If it is just sheet metal, penetrating oil helps and tap with a ball peen hammer between the bolt holes.
Like you would with a brake drum.
If the fan clutch is part of it, show us a picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it is just sheet metal, penetrating oil helps and tap with a ball peen hammer between the bolt holes.
Like you would with a brake drum.
If the fan clutch is part of it, show us a picture.
I also have a ‘73. As I recall the the 4 - 3 1/2 inch bolts holding the fan to the pulley and water pump are the only official attachment. I have always left the fan belt on and tight until I removed the 4 fan screws, then use a breaker bar to work around the backside of the pulley to get a slight movement then sprayed in WD40 to soak the rust. Then last removed the water pump. But it sounds like a good rust solvent and some tapping with the ball peen hammer sounds like an alternative option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts