ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a73 240 with 151,000 miles and everything is stock except for the carbs and a few small things. I have asqeeking coming from the engine and it is not an exhaust leak and it sounds mechanical. i just had the valves adjusted about 3 months ago but i got in a wreck soon after nad my car has been sitting getting worked on. I had aneibor look at it and he thinks it is a valve problem because the #3 cylinder exhaust vale or intake I can't think which was really screwed down tight and was not working right. Could it be the valve seats becasue i heard you should have them replaced when you get a old 240. Please Post!!!!

Dustin Morris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> Hey all,

> I have a73 240 with 151,000 miles and
> everything is stock except for the carbs and
> a few small things. I have asqeeking coming
> from the engine and it is not an exhaust
> leak and it sounds mechanical. i just had
> the valves adjusted about 3 months ago but i
> got in a wreck soon after nad my car has
> been sitting getting worked on. I had
> aneibor look at it and he thinks it is a
> valve problem because the #3 cylinder
> exhaust vale or intake I can't think which
> was really screwed down tight and was not
> working right. Could it be the valve seats
> becasue i heard you should have them
> replaced when you get a old 240. Please
> Post!!!!

> Dustin Morris

I would pull the valve cover and make sure there is plenty of oil to lubricate the cam. If it is dry pour oil on it, if the squeeking stops there is your problem. Happened to my 83 280zxt. It was blocked oil passages. Thanks to people on here, I was able to fix it before damage was done. It did put some wear on my cam lobes, but it runs strong still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
The same happened to me. The oil spray bar had broken and knocked off the back 4 lobes of my cam and set metal throughout the engine. Check it to make sure it is providing oil.

> I would pull the valve cover and make sure
> there is plenty of oil to lubricate the cam.
> If it is dry pour oil on it, if the
> squeeking stops there is your problem.
> Happened to my 83 280zxt. It was blocked oil
> passages. Thanks to people on here, I was
> able to fix it before damage was done. It
> did put some wear on my cam lobes, but it
> runs strong still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> The same happened to me. The oil spray bar
> had broken and knocked off the back 4 lobes
> of my cam and set metal throughout the
> engine. Check it to make sure it is
> providing oil.

I din't notice an oil spray bar. Is this only in the 240Z?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
The spary bar is only needed if the cam is not internally oiled. If it is, you will see small holes on the cam wher the oil comes out. If there is a bar, there will be two holes in the cam towers, one for the screw to hold the bar on and the other for the path of the oil. Either works, as long as the cam has lubrication.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top