ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three people I would like to thank for fair and and honest dealings over the internet and courtesy of this forum. They provided me the parts I wanted (and relieved me of some of my legal tender). I now have most of the neccessary items to upgrade my stock 83 zx turbo: big-throat throttle body, Bell rising rate regulator, Starion and Supra intercooler (I will try both to see which I will keep) and today I got the turbo! T03/T04. I don't know which compressor wheel the unit has though, so I will describe it and see if anyone can give it a SWAG. The turbine side is stock. The compressor side has no markings other than the Turbonetics logo, but the air intake measures roughly 2 & 7/16 ". The air intake o.d. measures 2 & 3/4". The outlet (post compression going to the t-body) measures 1 & 3/4" i.d. and the o.d. is 2". As stated, there aren't any markings on the comp side as to the A/R. Incidentally, the center section is water-cooled, the turbine side says .63 and the flange I got from 240z turbo is a perfect fit on it. So that side is stock. If you think you may have an idea of what the T04 side may be, that would be great.
Again, thanks guys for being reputable and I would recommend anyone thinking of dealing with you to put my vote of confidence behind you. All products were used, but no false representation was made as to each items condition. I feel fairly treated.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: 240z turbo, Scottie & Jason Phillips.Turbo

I have an 83 n/a.
I might want to go to turbo, like scottie suggested to me, but i want to know what the cost difference will be bvetween trying to modify the n/a or jsut go turbo.,
can i do it without getting a whole new zxt engine?
is it possible to turbocharge the n/a?
is it worth the trouble?

thankz again

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Turbo roughly indentified!

The housing has 20192 stamped on it. This dictates it to be either an H, Super-H standard shaft or Super-H big shaft. My guess would be one of the first two. The turbonetics website has this info listed at www.turbonetics.com/. Under the Compressor wheels is listed Inducer and Major as catagories, as soon as I get off here I'm gonna call and see what this means. I should then know what the units capabilitiesfor hp are. And to Matty, just start with a turbo setup, the stock turbo has everyones respect for durability. The n/a would need a rebuild with the correct pistons, head and cam.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Turbo

You have either the regular shaft "H" or "Super H" or you have the big shaft turbo with the "Super H". The color of the backing plate will tell you whether it is a big shaft or regular shaft. My backing plate is Gold, which denotes big shaft turbo. If this is the case then you have the "Super H" which is good up to 425HP. I am not sure about the H compressor wheel, but I would imagine in the 375HP range. However, you are limited not by your compressor wheel, but by the fact that you run the stock turbine wheel and housing. Did you hook up the TB yet?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Turbo

Not yet, I'm still trying to diagnose a rough idle problem. I want to isolate this before I upgrade anything. This thing won't idle for dammit right now. I've looked at everything but the fuel pressure. And that is the next thing. If I don't find it by the week end, I'll put that tb on anyway. Let you know how it feels when I do. You got the Money order didn't you? Should've been there Sat. BTW, the turbo is not the super H, it's the H. But I'm sure I will see a good improvement barring any contact between impeller and housing. The guy here at city diesel said it feels good to him.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>MAKE SURE YOU ------</b>

TO RUN THIS TURBO--USE THE INTERCOOLER, USE A BOOST CONTROLLER- YOU MIGHT NEED A COMPRESSOR BY-PASS VALVE IF YOU USE AN INTERCOOLER, THEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE. AND YOUR FUEL INJECTION SHOULD BE IN PERFACT SHAPE, AND DONT FORGET TO REPLACE THE 02 SENSON ON THE DOWN PIPE!!! THIS WILL BE MUCH EASYER WHEN THE TURBO COMES OFF. ALSO THE OIL DRAIN PIPE GETS CUT 1-2INCHES FROM FLANG, THEN USE RUBBER HOSE TO CONNECT TO OIL-PAN.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: MAKE SURE YOU ------

I gonna order a mandrel bent pipe to replace the factory down pipe. I know some don't think the stock pipe is that bad, but this is an item that I can make with a little time. On top of that, this will be the perfect time to do it. The rest of my parts for the boost controller should be in this week. The hard part is going to be getting the intercooler piped in. I expect this to take me a week of after work attempts to get right. O2 has been replaced and is now functioning. I need to have my injectors cleaned though, it has been along time since they were serviced an the car feels surgy like all the time. Thanks for the info on the oil drain pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.