Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll,
I want to take my tail lights apart so I can have the chrome strip re-chromed and pianted. Does anyone know how the tail-light lense comes apart from the housing? Thanks for any advice. Later - Michael

·
Registered
307 Posts
My problem is to get it back on!

Michael,

Mine got rear-ended last year and one of the lenses has since come loose. It appears to only have a sticky yellow gasket like substance holding it on.

What I want to know is what to use to put it back on so that it will be water and dust tight, yet able to be removed reasonably easily as you have asked to do.

Since mine is 31 years old and yours must be close to that, I would bet that Nissan used the same material on yours. You should be able to gently pry it off of the base of the lamp assembly. What to use to put it back is something I have not yet researched.

Right now I have it wedged into place with some plastic shims and I expect to find it missing after every drive down a bumpy road. Hopefully someone knows the entire drill for proper removal and reattachment.

Regards,

Dale

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Re: My problem is to get it back on!

Try clear silicone to put it back together.

I separated the lenses of a 87 Bronco II by putting it in a roasting pan 3/4 full of hot tap water and slowly raised the temp to 180 - 190 F on the top of the stove. Once "what-ever-the-glue-is" got hot enough I used a carving knife to separate the two pieces.

The total cost was $20.00 CDN to send the Head Household Domestic Engineer out for 2 - 3 hours. I still got caught so now we have His and Her stoves.

Wayne Monteath

·
Registered
685 Posts

For sealent I think clear silicone would do the rick just keep it off of your hands and cloths. If you get it on your hands evreything you touch will not accept paint so be careful. Its used all the time for this type of thing. Gary Portland

·
Registered
307 Posts

Great story on the stoves!

Thanks for the reminder of silicone sealant, not far behind duct tape as a nearly universal repair/modification adhesive. For non-removable fixes I really like two part 5-minute epoxy. Clear, strong and bonds in minutes (no significant jigs required)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.