ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help my 240z runs a little over the mid piont on the temp gauge normaly but when i am in traffic it starts to run real hot. If my ac is on and i have to wait for 2 lights i have to shut down. so i shut off ac when in traffic ( i live in so fl). Radiator is fairly new 3 row thermastat is new. I have a plastic fan 7 blade and clutch seems to work.
now what should i do? will a shroud be enough or do i add the fan, motor sport has? in front of radiator or behind, push or pull? if possible i do not want to take clutch and fan out. if i have to i will. I have also seen a double fan 10 inch each but will the elecrical system handle this? sorry for all the question. but thank you all for the help

·
Registered
320 Posts
hello mine (71 240z) did the same thing in traffic in hot arizona..i flush out the radiator. put new hoses upper and lower. took out the thermstate and droped it in warm water on the stove and check with a thermomiter when it would open...did you check to see if the water/rad fluid is moving in the radiator??with engine hot use a rag and take of rad cover (be carefull) see if you can see the fluid moving as being pumped slowly....i had to replace the water pump on my 240z and now it runs in the middle or just below no running hot...ofcourse i dont use A.C. 240z are known to run warm..i dont have a shroud on mine never have...i would try all this before getting an electric fan or shroud...read the post on electric fans...alot of them say stick with the stock fan.....good luck michele

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts
mizhele made some good points. a shroud will help but not that much. one thing you can do on those hot florida days is what i did when i used to live in so cal. first thing is switch that 190 tstat to a 160. they do have them and sell them at your local parts stores. i use the electric fan and like it with the push and pull method(2 fans). something else a little more expensive route is going with a griffin aluminum radiator from summit racing. great quality and looks plus they do work well. i use one on my 260 V8. cost(189). and also like mizhele said make sure your water pump is working.

james
pittsburgh pa

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is what I did with my 280z that did the same thing. 1. make sure you have 20% antifreeze 80% water in the radiator, water is a much better cooler than antifreeze. 2. install the 160 degree thermostat. 3. install TWO electric fans and remove the stock fan. 4. install red line wetter water in your radiator. This things added together will lower your temp a BUNCH and help keep it there . Hope this helps and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.