ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just saved up enough money to buy my first car, and was looking at a 1972 240z. Thought it would be a cool project car to work on with my dad. Now obviously i don't expect it to never have any problems being a 40 year old car, but would i be able to use one as a daily driver and is this even a worthwhile endeavor?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've had my 72 240z for about 15 years and I was in your exact situation when I bought mine. I searched for nearly a year before finding a nice rust free example I could afford ($3000 back in 1999). I had a beater car at the time (1988 dodge daytona, with pop up headlights that were awesome), and when I bought the Z it was my intention to make it my daily driver. After spending another year fixing it up, including a DIY paint job, I couldn't bring myself to make it a daily driver.

The Z has always been reliable for me in all those years, but I only use it in fair weather and I only drive it a few thousand miles a year. I would recommend the 240z as a great first hobby car (relatively cheap to buy and own). However, I wouldn't use it as a daily driver because it is 40 years old. The brakes are not up to modern standards, the headlights are dim, and if you ever get in a wreck it wouldn't be pretty. The heater sure works awesome though!

I would recommend buying any 240Z as they are so much fun to own and drive, but as a father, I would stop short of recommending one as a daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
My first car was dragged home on a trailer, with the engine in a basket.

I put it together like a tinkertoy in a -40 Garage during the Northern Michigan Winter...

You could do worse if you buy one that actually runs.

Reliability is a direct reflection of maintenance. If you know how to do maintenance, and do it properly...it's reliable. If not...misery.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you have skills and/or money your golden. If you lack both of these could be problems

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Another maintenance tip I got from an old timer was to carry an 18" length of string in your pocket. ANYTHING you touch in the course of maintenance, any bolt tightened, any pulley adjusted...you take that string, put one end on what you worked on, and inspect everything in an 18" circle.
Anything you find, you fix...and repeat, anything you found, put the string and repeat. If you got a crapbox car, those first basic maintenance jobs will turn into something VERY extensive with this method???but shortly they get smaller and smaller! and you realize the car isn't breaking down any more!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts