ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever messed with the regulator voltage adjustment? At an idle my wipers and turn signals are really slow and I was wondering if I turned up the voltage at the regulator a little would it possibly help.

Also the procedure for adjusting it looks a bit difficult. You need two meters and some other hookup wires and a load resistor. I wonder if I can just monitor the voltage across the battery and turn it up to 14.5?

Thanks, SoM

·
Registered
402 Posts
Reading the voltage at the battery is just fine. Make sure that the battery is fully charged. 14.5 volts would be close to ideal.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Use a larger Altenator with internal regulator. My wipers go like crazy. It a lot more juice, especially if you are running any type of stereo and amp.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I found that a modern solid state regulator helped mine. However, the stock alternator does have trouble with headlights and wipers on at idle. I just pull the hand brake and ease the throttle up until the alternator shows zero amps. usually 1500 RPM does the trick.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that sounds about like mine. I use more of a heel-toe method though. It's a real pain in stop and go traffic though. I guess it really is a design flaw. The voltage is just too low at idle and adjusting the regulator probably won't help because that's adjusted at 2000 rpm or something like that. I guess the only real solution is a different alternator or change the pulleys to get more spin...
SoM
PS, Where the **** did you get a hand break cable that works?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The pulley thing won't work, the reason is the stock voltage reg. will slap down any excess voltage, then you are back to square 1

·
Registered
307 Posts
Working Handbrakes

Well, just lucky I guess, all three of mine have worked from the get-go. Use them all the time to keep from rolling back into the jerks that think everyone has an automatic and get right on your bumper at a stop with a hill.

I assume you have checked that your cables aren't binding, the drums are adjusted properly (real important) also the cables may be stretched.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Working Handbrakes

What cable? LOL! I disconnected the cable at the hubs because it's frozen with rust. I guess that means I should adjust my rear breaks by hand once in a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.