ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been throwing around the idea for a while now and I wanted to know if anyone on this site has worked on a similar project. I would like to build a RB26DETT powered 240Z. I've already seen a car with this combination before, the questions I have are: What transmission should I use? What kind of rear-end would you recommend? I would like the car to be an all around performer, and set it up for Autocrossing, road racing etc. What is the best setup for this? I don't have too much experience with older Zs, but I've always wanted to do a project like this (an SR20DET powered 510 would be fun too!). Any information is appreciated!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
If you're going to go thru the hassle of this swap, I would recommend you transplant the entire drivetrain from a Skyline GTR. No better way to put tons of HP to the ground than the ATESSA AWD system.

Z

·
Registered
906 Posts
you will want to use the RWD trans from a GT-S skyline. take the oil pan from the car as well. any RB25/20 RWD trans will work as well as the oil pan. while this is a great swap, and you are keeping it all nissan. consider the 2JZ from the supra TT. its capable of HUGE HP numbers just like the RB, but parts are readily available in the U.S. as opposed to the RB.

the hassle of swapping in the RB into a Z is nothing compared to installing the entire AWD system. while it can be done ( and has been ) and would really be a killer swap....its a major PITA. i could go on and on with a list of mods required...but am not....check the archives!!!!! all the info is out there...even on hybridZ.org a member as made a list of everything needed under " so you want to swap an RB"

-Sparky
72 240ZT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Putting in the AWD drive train would be a major - the engine would sit really forward in the chassis.

Go the RB26 engine RB25DET gearbox and R-200 LSD. RB20DET gearbox is different and not as strong.

Cheers

GM

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for all your help guys, hopefully I can start finding some of these parts and putting together a great race car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wrong info...

You have to use the oil pan from a Z31 with the RB20DET engine, not a skyline oil pan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.