ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the vintage Z program cars is up for sale on Ebay.
It is silver, HLS30-04295.

Probably won't get to the reserve, but I won't be surprised if the bidding passes 50k. Will be interesting to see how high the bidding goes.

Interesting to see how high Tony thinks it may go.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was sold for an undisclosed amount & the auction ended early.

Someone got quite the deal if it was sold for around 40k.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
How so?

It could have sold for $15,000 cash with a captive slave exchange and a set of identity papers...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The cost in today's dollars for a full on restoration to bring a series 1 car up to that level can easily get up in the 40k+ range.
That, plus it is one of the 37 vintage Z's completed with around 1300 doc miles since sold puts it in a unique class beyond the more typical well restored car sold for around 20 to 30k IMO.

I suppose there is always a chance that you could be right Tony...

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Box Skyline just sold for WAAAAY more than that recently (in the USA)... The US Market 240 is not the pinnacle of the Marque by a long shot.

There are guys in Europe who have more in labor on the body than most of the cars in the USA have in "total restoration"... Part of that is labor cost, to be sure, but 400 hours of work on a body is $48,000 even at stateside rates. The average program car had $7000 spent on the body.

They were restored to a mechanical specification, they were not the 'pinnacle' that most meticulous restorers would accept. Depending on what shop did the work, the quality of what was underneath (while Nissan set standards...) could vary widely.

I was there when these were being done, I visited the shops.

I think the "Original Unrestored" 260Z up for sale is more desirable.

This has been the general consensus across all marques. A Restored vehicle may be worth money, and in some cases big money. But a complete, clean unrestored car with verifiable provenance can be worth a WHOLE lot more!

I don't know that it's a 'deal'--there are barn finds out there, which can appreciate more, and be had for comparable, if not less money.

From what I've seen "original unrestored" in clean condition is always going to bring more than 'restored' almost regardless of it's level of sheen...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
In gun collecting: original with patina is far more valuable than restored - as in re-blued. With any collecting in antiques condition, condition, condition any "restoration" can destroy the collector's value.

But then there are collectors who value different things.

With cars I have noticed that there is a new type of collecting - especially race cars with provenance - original dents and dings and dirt from the track are highly sought after.

Some guys want restored to pristine perfect condition and others want resored as in "direct from the factory" with up side down crayon marks - spray paint drips and slightly mismatched color tint - because the car came from the factory that way.

To each their own and as the guy said: value depends on which side of the counter you're on.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Oh, you went to a Corvette Show in the 80's didn't you!:devil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts