ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm updating/upgrading my '73Z and hav reached the ignition. It is the stock point type. I've got 2 questions, hopefully someone will be able to answer:
1. I've got a '78 Z engine with it's electronic ignition pointless distributor. I have none of the other parts of the '78. Would upgrading to the electronic unit make any positive change, and if so, what else beside the distributor do I need? Is it worth the trouble?
2. I also have a Jacobs Ignition Omni Pak from a previous car. I've used them with both good and bad luck over the years. Does anyone know if it can be used on an ignition with points? Will it be an improvement? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
> I'm updating/upgrading my '73Z and hav
> reached the ignition. It is the stock
> point type. I've got 2
> questions, hopefully someone will be able to
> answer:
> 1. I've got a '78 Z engine with it's
> electronic ignition pointless distributor. I
> have none of the other parts of the '78.
> Would upgrading to the electronic unit make
> any positive change, and if so, what else
> beside the distributor do I need? Is it
> worth the trouble?
> 2. I also have a Jacobs Ignition Omni Pak
> from a previous car. I've used them with
> both good and bad luck over the years. Does
> anyone know if it can be used on an ignition
> with points? Will it be an improvement?
> Thanks
I used the Crane kit that Motorsport Auto sells. It cost $100 and replaced the points with an optical trigger. It was a great improvement over stock, and the mods needed were very minor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> I used the Crane kit that Motorsport Auto
> sells. It cost $100 and replaced the points
> with an optical trigger. It was a great
> improvement over stock, and the mods needed
> were very minor.
We use 79-81 280zx coil, and distributor with ign
module on the side of distributor. Car starts and runs much better. $100.00 for the setup from us.
1-800-533-5659 good luck, joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Pertronix works great

Pertronix is a magnetic pick-up. Thus eliminating problems seen with optical setups. It is a magnet that slips over the distributor shaft, and a magnetic pick-up is screwed in place of the points. It fits under the stock distributor cover, and works great. It eliminates point float, annoying adjustments, etc... I've had mine for over 2 years with no problems whatsoever. It is simple to install, with just a Positive and negative wire. Positive runs from coil, and negative goes to where condensor used to go. Very simple, and allows the use of points in an emergency, since you haven't butchered up the wiring at all. About $60 at specialty auto parts stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Pertronix works great

> Pertronix is a magnetic pick-up. Thus
> eliminating problems seen with optical
> setups. It is a magnet that slips over the
> distributor shaft, and a magnetic pick-up is
> screwed in place of the points. It fits
> under the stock distributor cover, and works
> great. It eliminates point float, annoying
> adjustments, etc... I've had mine for over 2
> years with no problems whatsoever. It is
> simple to install, with just a Positive and
> negative wire. Positive runs from coil, and
> negative goes to where condensor used to go.
> Very simple, and allows the use of points in
> an emergency, since you haven't butchered up
> the wiring at all. About $60 at specialty
> auto parts stores.

WHAT AUTO PARTS store can you buy that ignition?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Re: Pertronix works great

> WHAT AUTO PARTS store can you buy that
> ignition?
try going to a performance parts store. if they don't have, they could probably order it. go to the domestic stores, i tried going to the import ones and they said they don't deal w/ old cars or carbs.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top