ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey if I put a Nismo header good flowing exhaust, K&N intake filters, Tune My SU's really good andport match my intake manifold HOW MUCH HP will i get out of my Car which is a 73 240Z???????

·
Registered
529 Posts
Probably 170-175hp GROSS if you are using the earlier carbs. You will probably get 130hp at the wheels.

> Hey if I put a Nismo header good flowing
> exhaust, K&N intake filters, Tune My SU's
> really good andport match my intake manifold
> HOW MUCH HP will i get out of my Car which
> is a 73 240Z???????

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Probably 170-175hp GROSS if you are using
> the earlier carbs. You will probably get
> 130hp at the wheels.

Ian, hey how much HP do i get right now to my wheels and how much of an impact is noticable with that setup??????

My car is stock 73 crap except the carbs..

Dustin Morris

·
Registered
361 Posts
> Ian, hey how much HP do i get right now to
> my wheels and how much of an impact is
> noticable with that setup??????
> My car is stock 73 crap except the carbs..
> Dustin Morris

Dustin,
I have worked with a few Z's on a dyno jet, from stock to modified heavily. To start, with stock carbs, stock cam, K&N filter....etc.... The header will make little to no difference. A guy on the IZCC mailing list who races ITS 240Z cars tested several headers and the stock manifolds to see what a difference it makes. Now these are basicly 240 motors that are producing near tops in hp for a stocker. They must have 240 carbs, you can run any manifold you want, but everyone runs the stock manifold. You can port match the intake/head. No porting/polishing may be done. the head, etc.. must be all stock. You can run any exhaust you want. So basicly it is an optimized stock setup. It turns out that the stock manifold does very well, especially if it is port matched,(easy to do). The best header,(or one of the top two, the other is no longer available), was the NISSAN Motorsports, or NISMO, large diameter header. It was something like 5hp over stock in some areas, but only 2hp peak difference. Similar for torque. That does not justify the 300 cost of the NISMO headers. I am not knocking them, for I am running those exact headers. But to really get the benifit of a header, any header, you need a cam, and at least port match the intake/head and the head/exhaust. I would reccomend a very mild cam, especially if it is to only be street driven. The first or second cam that Motorsport Auto carries are excellent. They are made by Schneider, a well respected grinder of cams.
But a stock manifold, matched to the head, with a fabricated exhaust from the manifold back is the best bet for a mostly stocker. Stay away from the Motorsport Auto headers, and even the Monza. The stock manifold is just as good. The advantage of the stock manifold lessens with a cam, etc...
Bottom line, what power? Stock, likely 115-120 in great tune for a 240. With a header, mild cam, and what I said above, 130-135. That may not seem like much, but it is a huge diffence in the way the car feels. The power quoted is at the wheels. The guy who did the tests on the ITS car, took a baseline each day, back with the original system, etc... so his tests were fair and accurate.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> Dustin,
> I have worked with a few Z's on a dyno jet,
> from stock to modified heavily. To start,
> with stock carbs, stock cam, K&N
> filter....etc.... The header will make
> little to no difference. A guy on the IZCC
> mailing list who races ITS 240Z cars tested
> several headers and the stock manifolds to
> see what a difference it makes. Now these
> are basicly 240 motors that are producing
> near tops in hp for a stocker. They must
> have 240 carbs, you can run any manifold you
> want, but everyone runs the stock manifold.
> You can port match the intake/head. No
> porting/polishing may be done. the head,
> etc.. must be all stock. You can run any
> exhaust you want. So basicly it is an
> optimized stock setup. It turns out that the
> stock manifold does very well, especially if
> it is port matched,(easy to do). The best
> header,(or one of the top two, the other is
> no longer available), was the NISSAN
> Motorsports, or NISMO, large diameter
> header. It was something like 5hp over stock
> in some areas, but only 2hp peak difference.
> Similar for torque. That does not justify
> the 300 cost of the NISMO headers. I am not
> knocking them, for I am running those exact
> headers. But to really get the benifit of a
> header, any header, you need a cam, and at
> least port match the intake/head and the
> head/exhaust. I would reccomend a very mild
> cam, especially if it is to only be street
> driven. The first or second cam that
> Motorsport Auto carries are excellent. They
> are made by Schneider, a well respected
> grinder of cams.
> But a stock manifold, matched to the head,
> with a fabricated exhaust from the manifold
> back is the best bet for a mostly stocker.
> Stay away from the Motorsport Auto headers,
> and even the Monza. The stock manifold is
> just as good. The advantage of the stock
> manifold lessens with a cam, etc...
> Bottom line, what power? Stock, likely
> 115-120 in great tune for a 240. With a
> header, mild cam, and what I said above,
> 130-135. That may not seem like much, but it
> is a huge diffence in the way the car feels.
> The power quoted is at the wheels. The guy
> who did the tests on the ITS car, took a
> baseline each day, back with the original
> system, etc... so his tests were fair and
> accurate.
> -Bob Hanvey

Why do you specifically recommend not using the Motorsports header? Is there one that you would recommend? I'm running the Motorsport with 2.5 exhaust attached to a 2.8l, E-31 head with 280 valves, Schneider cam, 3xDCOE40's, lightened flywheel, 280 CD Distr, Crane HI-6 & PS-91. I gotta think think the exhaust helps!

·
Registered
361 Posts
> Why do you specifically recommend not using
> the Motorsports header? Is there one that
> you would recommend? I'm running the
> Motorsport with 2.5 exhaust attached
> to a 2.8l, E-31 head with 280 valves,
> Schneider cam, 3xDCOE40's, lightened
> flywheel, 280 CD Distr, Crane HI-6 &
> PS-91. I gotta think think the exhaust
> helps!

Bob,
Take what I said with the grain of salt I provided. I was talking about a mostly stock setup. Headers alone for a stock motor do not make the kinds of improvements that they make to other motors, v8's etc... For you setup, the stock manifold would clearly be an impediment. You have a larger cam, big carbs, big ignition, you need improved exhaust flow. What I was saying is the stock setup doesn't improve that much from the increase availability of flow, for it doesn't need it, or more importantly, can't use it.
I personally reccomend the Nissan Motorsports header. Its build quality is excellent and it is one of the best headers out there, many ITS racers and bigger classes use that header. You just don't see a Motorsport Auto 6-1 header on a competitive race car. They are made of thin gauge steel, rust quickly, and don't really offer that much of an improvement. I personally thing their 6-2 setup is better then their 6-1. The 6-1, which is their claimed performance header has a collecter setup that joins all the runners in an extremely short distance. That does not promote good flow of the exhaust gasses. And while I reccomend the NISSMO header, it is almost twice the cost of the Motorsport Auto one. About 160 for MA, and 270-300 for the Nissmo header. You pay for it. So it will not really make a difference until you start to drive your car at elevated rpms, for down low, it is not a huge difference. Supprisingly, the large diameter header from nissmo makes more than it's smaller dia counterpart throughout the rev range. it is a significant difference down low. that runs contrary to commonly held beliefs.
just some food for thought.
-bob hanvey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.