Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to 240Z's and have read many questions regarding different heads and applications, ie. e31 and e88.

I have a stock 1972 240Z with matching numbers - what head would be on my car?

What heads are available and what cars do they fit on, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of each. I am interested in primarily 240 and 260 applications.

Thanking you in advance and sorry for dumb questions!

Best regards,
David.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your car should have E-88 cylinder head. that would make it "correct"

Performance wise, the earlier model's E 31 head carried a slightly smaller combustion chamber and thus a higher compression ration. (9.1 to 1) Your ratio was closer to 8-1.

You can pit an E-31 on the later block and there will be no problem. But E-31's are rarer and the racers suck them up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your car should have E-88 cylinder head. that would make it "correct"

Performance wise, the earlier model's E 31 head carried a slightly smaller combustion chamber and thus a higher compression ration. (9.1 to 1) Your ratio was closer to 8-1.

You can put an E-31 on the later block and there will be no problem. But E-31's are rarer and the racers suck them up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
His ratio would be 8.8 to 1, and the E31 motors were 9.0. A very late 71 (like 10/71 build date) could have the E31 combustion chambered E88; has an E88 stamp and ports but E31 combustion chambers. That's what ITS raceers "suck up".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.