ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reposting message with some clarifications.

I have a 1972 240Z. When I shut off the ignition, it doesn't always shut off and there is a grinding noise coming from the engine - like metal against metal. A sound like if you turn on the key to the start position while the engine is already running. My husband just put in an entire new ignition assembly with new keys but that did not take care of the problem. I can fiddle with the key and get to stop. This is NOT a dieseling problem (I know what that sounds like). The car runs great! Is it perhaps the starter, or the solenoid not engaging? Do I need to get a new solenoid or starter? Or is it repairable? Or is it something else? Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Automatic or standard?

your starter bendix is enguaged... check the wiring at the ignition switch and at the solenoid. gl

·
Registered
651 Posts
bendix

Either that, or the return spring on the bendix is broken. You'll have to pull out the starter motor and check it out.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Vicki, I just read the other thread on this and had another thought. There's a good chance that your solenoid is sticking or otherwise defective. This is assuming of course that the wiring is ok. Easiest thing to do is swap out the whole solenoid/starter assembly and see if that fixes it. If it does, you're done. If not, you'll need to go back to checking the wiring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback. I will pass this information on to my husband and go from there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Vicki, Vicki, Vicki, what have you done to us? How could we have all missed it? Please don't do anything drastic like shorting out your Solenoid and electricuting yourself. I have finally and certainly solved your problem. Now, tell me, be truthful now. When you turn the car off, which way do you turn the key? I mean before you start fiddleing with to make the grinding noise stop? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SoM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.