ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, this thread was discussed. I remember someone talking about soldering their fuse box to increase its strength against resistance problems. Can someone please repost this information. I'm melting too many fuseboxes and their getting harder and harder to find in the local junkyards. Thanks a lot.

Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
what you need to do is take your fuse box and on the back, clean all of the brass posts with a pencil eraser. once they are clean, you want to put a small pool of solder on each post (there are two posts for each fuse clip, one on each side). this helps the problem. however, i did it on mine and still had a problem, i'll be it not as bad. i finally solved the problem by taking out all of the fuses and cleaning each clip with a pencil eraser and steel wool. be very thorough and do as much of the clips as possible (including the side that doesn't touck the fuse). make sure to clean the box carefully when done (compressed air is a good idea) because you don't want any pieces of steel caught in the box. now, throw away all of your fuses and put new ones in every slot. this should solve your problem. i would recommend doing the cleaning before the soldering and checking to see if it worked. good luck

> A while back, this thread was discussed. I
> remember someone talking about soldering
> their fuse box to increase its strength
> against resistance problems. Can someone
> please repost this information. I'm melting
> too many fuseboxes and their getting harder
> and harder to find in the local junkyards.
> Thanks a lot.

> Chris

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I have to put solder on each post? I thought I remember something about only putting solder on one side. Was that one side of each fuse, or one side of the box in general, or am I just confused??

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You can take out the fuse box and place a punch on one side of the rivet and flat punch on the other and hit it carefully with a hammer and this will tighten the rivet -- i find it easier than soldering. Good thing to clean all contacts -- I just use light sandpaper wrapped around a pencil and give it the Bill Clinton a few times. Also be sure to check your main connections and clean them up. Another thing to do is to run a wire from the positive battery post straight to the positive side of the altenator this will take some of the load off of the stock wire harness -- a bad connection is what causes the wires to get hot. If a fuse is bent but not blown that can be a good indication that there is a bad connection and the fuse has gotten hot. I hope this helps. Try the wire to the altenator I think it might save you a meltdown (may want to put a fuse in the line). Good luck

Ernest
> So, I have to put solder on each post? I
> thought I remember something about only
> putting solder on one side. Was that one
> side of each fuse, or one side of the box in
> general, or am I just confused??

> Thanks
> Chris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You can take out the fuse box and place a punch on one side of the rivet and flat punch on the other and hit it carefully with a hammer and this will tighten the rivet -- i find it easier than soldering. Good thing to clean all contacts -- I just use light sandpaper wrapped around a pencil and give it the Bill Clinton a few times. Also be sure to check your main connections and clean them up. Another thing to do is to run a wire from the positive battery post straight to the positive side of the altenator this will take some of the load off of the stock wire harness -- a bad connection is what causes the wires to get hot. If a fuse is bent but not blown that can be a good indication that there is a bad connection and the fuse has gotten hot. I hope this helps. Try the wire to the altenator I think it might save you a meltdown (may want to put a fuse in the line). Good luck

Ernest

> Thanks
> Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts

> Thanks
> Chris
chris,
i think you might be right about just one side, it's been a while since i did mine and the car is in storage for the winter, so i can't look at it right now to see. try the cleaning thing first because it might fix the problem without having to solder of hammer (as suggested above). email me directly if you have any more questions at [email protected]. i know it's a pain to fix this problem as i went through it myself, so let me know if i can help.
andy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Check out this Web site Great info
<A HREF=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/z.html>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824/z.html</A>
This tells what to do

> Thanks
> Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.