ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal... On my '72 (I just got it a couple of months ago), it's a real pain to start on cold mornings and takes a while on warm days. I've noticed though that I don't hear the usual sound from the rear of the car when the ignition is on. On my '73, the electric fuel pump is very obvious due to it's sound. The same was true on my '82. Yet, as I mentioned no fuel pump sound. Here's where I'm going with this.. I'm thinking that my starting trouble on my '72 is an electric fuel pump problem. Here's some more info. When the ignition is on, there is no movement of fuel in the line (seems obvious, I know).

Main question: How hard is it to change the electric fuel pump? Is this something I can do in the driveway with jack stands? Any caveats to lookout for?

Thanks,
Ross

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Hey, i am not an expert but I believe that 72s did not have an electric fuel pump. 73s did. I have an unrelated question. I have a 73 and since I boiught it I have regretted somewhat not getting a 72. Can you tell me what the engine differences are? I am curious to what degree emissions weakened the 72 engine. Does the 72 have an air pump? (Air Injection). Does it have an EGR? I know about the carbs... mine has 72s retrofitted. And I understand there are differences in the head, that the compression is a bit lower. ANything you know would be helpful..

· Registered
174 Posts
I took delivery of a "73 in April of 73 and it did not have an electric fuel pump. However, it would not start when it was below 32 and would not run when it was hot. I almost sent it back. But Datsun had a recall that added the electric fuel pump and the insulation on the fuel lines. I struggled with that for several years and finally put 72 carbs on it. I haven't had any trouble since then, even when my electric pump quit working. Of course my idea of cold is below 32 here in Texas.

I think your problem has more to do with the carb adjustments than the fuel pump. Is your choke working? Mine will barely start at all even in summer if I forget to choke it.

My air pump and most emissions stuff disappered long ago when I changed the carbs. I noticed a big difference in performance, but I don't know if it was the emissions or just getting it set up right.

· Registered
685 Posts
Ross , your 72 did not come with a electric pump as stated above but you can easily add one , my 73 has a factory elect. only and runs fine. From what I have read here , the way to go is to get a pump from a masda rx7 but I dont remember the year! Had the info in my file but now I cant find it , any way you dont want a pump that puts out high pressure it will overcome the shutoff needles in the carbs and you will have fuel all over. According to what I read you should be able to find the Masda pump for $15.00 or so and the new one from nissan is around $130.00 . So go to the arcives and see what you can find . But you want a pump from a carbd engine not a injuction pump. Good luck Gary Portland Or . P.S. I will keep looking for the info and will post it when I find it.

· Registered
685 Posts
Ross , found the info fuel pump from a early '80s masda RX-7, and mount it close to the tank. If you go with a elect. pump think about a kill switch incase you get in a wreck or overturn you dont want the pump to continue to run !! Gary

· Registered
3,319 Posts
You can install a small Facet pump or Holley or Carter. The mount holes are there in the cross brace near and forward of the tank. The wires are there too, likely wrapped up with blue tape. The other end of the fuel pump wires are up under the console center to the left of the fuse box. T shaped connector. Need to install a fuse across that connector. As Gary said you can install an oil pressure kill switch or something similar. I don't believe the dealer conversion did, and I haven't done that on my 72. I just installed it and take my chances. I have considered the oil pressure switch or an accelerometer switch from Summit. And yes, to agree with everyone else, you need FULL CHOKE to get a cold 240 started.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My choke seems to work, perhaps it is a carb problem. And to answer the question, I'm not too familiar with the 72 vs 73 differences, but I could look it up in a Haynes manual. So you guys think it would be an improvement to add an electric fuel pump (Datsun/Nissan did after all)?

Thanks for all the info.
Ross

· Registered
3,319 Posts
It might help a bit with cold start but will be of more help in hot conditions when heat soak/vapor lock/ percolation might be a problem. I did mine when in Arizona and Colorado for just those problems. Before that mechanical worked just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.