Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody.

I just finished going through the front end of my ’72 240Z. I replaced the steering rack, rack bushings, outer tie rods, ball joints, sway bar bushings and end links, and tension rod bushings. All bushings are urethane. Yesterday I took the car to the tire store to have the front end aligned. Today I called them to make arrangements to return the car. First they did not center the steering wheel as I asked but more importantly, the steering wheel vibrates while cornering at speeds above 50 MPH. The vibration is greatest when going in to and coming out of a corner. While in the corner the shaking lessens. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am running Firestone Firehawk SS20 235/60-14” on aluminum wheels.

Thanks,
Glen…

·
Registered
651 Posts
I can think of five things: 1) the shop didn't do the job right, 2) your tires/wheels need to be balanced, 3) your steering rack needs to be rebuilt, 4) you need inner tie rods, and 5) something is loose in the front end (see item one above). Don't go on any long trips until you get this figured out and repaired. Good Luck....

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts
i agree with all stated above but also include this. check your wheel bearings inner and outer for play. actually if the shop did the job right they would have or should have checked your suspension first thing before even performing the alignment. also centering the steering wheel is part of an alignment. i would definetly go to another place, the one you went to sounds really bad.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi Glen_54.
The above comments are excellent , and I'll add these: Jack up the front of your Z at the crossmember and ( place jackstands at the front frame rails ) lift enough only to hace the front wheels a half-inch or so off the ground.. Now make yourself a 90' degree angle-finder, one that is perfectly straight. A construction tool will work. Place this on the floor centering this tool at the middle of your wheel/tire. Now rotate your wheel. Okay, does the wheel actually run true and straight against the 90' degree angle-finder or did it run 'almost' true with just slight out of round to either the left or right?? This also is generally the most obvious and easily overlooked item to check with the problem you describe. Next , and I am positive the shop/garage you used did not do this, check your streering universal. It will have to come off the steering rack pinion and the rubber coupling will have to be removed from above. This u-joint can be replaced and should be replaced after 150thousand miles along with the rubber coupling . Take this u-joint to a tractor shop. They see many u-joints of different sizes and will be able to match this one up. For the rubber coupling simply replace with a urethane or my preference a ABS plastic one.The 'feel' is tremendously increased. Goodluck . shane-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.