Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical Z question from novice owner:)
I have a '70 240z, stock except for, 200 SX 5 speed tranny, MSD coil and Crane 3000 electronic ignition. Obviously with a car that won't slow around corners am wondering about simple HP increases for straightaways. Will a 2.5 inch exhaust make any difference except for increased noise? Any other thoughts on increased H.P.?

·
Registered
117 Posts
For more H.P. change the cam (and associated valve gear - springs/followers), put on a header, go with the 2.5 system and remove your stock fan/clutch and replace with an electric setup. You may also want to look into a different fuel system - the 4 bbl setups work well and stay in tune better, Webers and Mikunis are also cool but cost more $$$$ and require more work to install and keep in tune. If you really want to get more go power and aren't worried about being the "top end king" dump your R180 rear end (3.36 if your car was originally a stick, 3.54 auto) and replace it with a R200 out of a 80 2+2 or an 81 - 83 5 speed. These are 3.9 gear ratios and will give you what feels like another 50 h.p. under 100 mph.

·
Registered
715 Posts
try these

My biggest recomendation would be a new cam, depending on milage, maybe a valve job. The exhaust is useless unless you buy a header too. Beware of the MSA 2.5" exhaust, it really dosnt fit well. It is also very tough to find a muffler to fit too. I just never put mine on :)

good luck- Evan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.