ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a73 240Z and my car seems to be running like crap ( rought idle and smokes a little sluggish acceleration.)
The smoke may be coming from My Carbs I have SM needles in my carbs and diffent jets and they are set to dump fuel into the engine butI think it is because I still have the stock intake manifold and when I take it off the engine does not smoke and runs better. Any Suggestions??

I have low compression in the cylinders and some of my plugs will foul after bout 100 miles and will run like ****. My mechanic says these old 240Z engine have very little ring trouble and believes it to be the Valves and seats. Any ideas on what the problem is.

I would like my old Z to go faster off the line and overall be quicker. i was thinking of Pumping up my old E-88 (Cam Valvs PortN'polish grind intake manifold and put on the Nismo headers and pick up an old triple webber I found in the junk yard)
Would that best the best way to get my car to be quicker or should I buy a Tubro and stick that in their??

I have 1500 buck to SPEND and WANT TO make my car FASTER either a pumped up L24 or a L28 Turbo Which would be better for the money??

i am afraid in getting a Turbo engine because it will destroy my R180 and if I just pumped up the l24 i might not break.

I HAVE 1500 BUCK HOW CAN I MAKE MY CAR GO FAST??

DUSTIN

·
Registered
482 Posts
My suggestions.....

> Ok I have a73 240Z and my car seems to be
> running like crap ( rought idle and smokes a
> little sluggish acceleration.)
> The smoke may be coming from My Carbs I have
> SM needles in my carbs and diffent jets and
> they are set to dump fuel into the engine
> butI think it is because I still have the
> stock intake manifold and when I take it off
> the engine does not smoke and runs better.
> Any Suggestions??

Sounds like you're running too rich. Try leaning the carbs out a little. I never found a reason to richen the carbs, when running them with a 2.4L. The only time I think it would be necessary is when you install a 2.8L.

> I have low compression in the cylinders and
> some of my plugs will foul after bout 100
> miles and will run like ****. My mechanic
> says these old 240Z engine have very little
> ring trouble and believes it to be the
> Valves and seats. Any ideas on what the
> problem is.

While L series engines do tend to have very strong bottom ends, I would not rule out rings as a probabable cause. I would definetely rebuild the head if you had the time and money though.

> I would like my old Z to go faster off the
> line and overall be quicker. i was thinking
> of Pumping up my old E-88 (Cam Valvs
> PortN'polish grind intake manifold and put
> on the Nismo headers and pick up an old
> triple webber I found in the junk yard)
> Would that best the best way to get my car
> to be quicker or should I buy a Tubro and
> stick that in their??

I would say the n/a route is the best way to go in your application. You've already got the parts, it's just a matter of freshening them up. A good cylinder head rebuild and performance port/polish might run you $500. Install a new cam with rockers is probably around $200-250. Get a carb rebuild kit, and Nismo headers ($300), and you'll be getting close to your $1500 limit. You might also have enough left over for a new exhaust (I would recommend 2.25 for L24), and a R200 conversion. I think you would enjoy the added power and overall fun of your car. The turbo route is just to **** expensive, unless you've already got some parts.

Dave

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Re: My suggestions.....

Its not at all uncommon to find a wrecked/rusted 280ZX for under $1000. I think the easiest power upgrade is a direct swap to 82-83 ZX drivetrain. Everything pretty much bolts on and you end up with a stock setup that doesn't need a rocket scientist to keep running right. If you buy a complete car with good drivetrain you will have just about everything you need. Hear the car run if possible and always do a compression check before buying. You get the 5-speed tranny that way too. That way you still have the performance through the first four gearsand much better fuel milage on the interstate. If you shop wisely for the drivetrain you will have some money left over for upgrades on your suspension. The driving satisfaction from a good set of struts and bushings is as good as from the higher power. Good Luck!!!

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.