ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Z heads,
Anyone have any info or opinion on installing an electronic distributor from a 280ZX into a 240Z? I've heard it is possible to do, but are there any problems or headaches with doing it? Is there an easier or better way to convert to electronic ignition and get rid of the points?
TIA,
Gary

· Registered
25 Posts
Gary,

I have a '73 with a 280ZX distributor in it, and the only problem I have is that right now I need to replace the distributor module (a $170 part). This is the same problem that I had with my '82. My '72 Has the stock distributor with a pertronix electronic ignition kit (Ignitor), and It's great. You can get the pertronix kit from British Victoria or Summit Racing. You can call Pertronix @ 1-800-827-3758
or goto www.pertronix.com. Also, with the 280zx distributor, you may run into problems with tachometer wiring and may have to change out your tach (admittedly, I'm not very familiar with the 280zx distro swap). I don't want to sound like I'm pushing one solution over the other, because I haven't done the distributor swap out, only the ignitor kit. The ignitor kit is very easy and clean to install. It may also be cheaper in the end. I've hear that the 280zx distributor is better because it's a larger distributor and there is less of a chance for a spark to jump to the wrong contact.

Good Luck,

Ross

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Easier - Yes
Pertronix or Crane ignition kits. Pertronix is the cheapest and highly praised by people who have used it. I got the Crane, and I've been really happy with it.

· Registered
320 Posts
Re:www.retrorockets.com 60$

hello there is a place in conn. that sells pertronix ingnitors got one for my 71 240z its great...60$ no shipping charge if i remember right...got mine in 3 days here in florida....if you have troulble getting the web site email me ill give you the phone # to call..good luck michele ( p.s. it slips right in thats it..) took five minutes to install

· Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks everyone for your input. I installed a Pertronix Ignitor in my '70 Datsun 2000 roadster a few years ago. I replaced it recently with a EI distributor from a 1980 Datsun 210. This distributor is designed to run continuously on 12 volts just like the 280ZX EI distributor, which allows bypassing or removing the ballast resistor, so it doubles the output voltage of the coil. The Pertronix instructions say to keep the ballast resistor in the circuit, which reduces by half, the primary voltage to the coil after starting. I would prefer to have the stronger spark continuously produced by the EI distributor as opposed to the Pertronix setup.
Any comments?
TIA again,
Gary

· Registered
4,289 Posts

The 1979 to 1981 280 ZX with modle E12-80 is intended to be used with a 12 volt coil.

Do not just remove the ballast resistor from the stock setup and run the 7 volt coil on 12 volts. You will destroy the 7 Volt coil.

If you already used the Dizzy from the 810 then you know what is involved it is the same Dizzy.

You may have problems with your tach, search the archives on this forum.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

· Registered
320 Posts
hello i run my pertronix with the flame thrower coil that has 1.5 olm resistance and no ballast resister,,,i called www.retrorockets and another co. that sells pertronix and asked about this setup with out the ballest resister both said with the flame thrower it will be fine...been 6 months and no problems....michele

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Me too...

I have the Cranes HI-6 set up in my '71 and I love it. Don't know that its the least expensive, but I did it before I found zcar.com so I didn't know of any other options at the time. Like three years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.