ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
That fuel pump is known as the V3 fuel pump kit. It was a voluntary recall campaign for the 73's and partway through the 74 production year it became standard equipment. It was used for 73-74 only. It's actually a prepump and it was supposed to cure starting and running problems for the Z for those years. Most of the cars had that system originally because most of them had the running problem. The problem was because of the flat top carbs. Get rid of them and you don't really need the V3 system but it is nice to have if you need to prime the fuel system. I can still get them special order from one of my vendors. I sell them for 215.95 online and with your zcar.com discount, the cost is 198.68. It takes me about 2 weeks to get them. These are an identical copy and they even use the internal filters just like the original ones. I carry the filters in stock. If you want one contact me directly at 360-668-2979 or by e-mail at [email protected] Z man of Washington

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your detailed reply
I thought this pump is an alternative to the mechanical pump of the 240Z.
In the official Nissan-Parts-List an electrical Pump is listed and shown as an option for the 240Z up to 07/73
The pic I posted might not be the correct, I found it on the internet and it looks exactly the same as in the drawing of the Microfiche/partslist.
Maybe there were two different electrical pumps, one as a replacement for the 240Z and another as suplementary for the 260Z?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Many of the parts lists have morphed through the years including some of the Nissan files and don't always give out accurate original info. The electric pump was never meant to replace the mechanical pump only to assist it. Now it is possible that an electric pump was listed in the Nismo catalog. That pump would have been used for the race track. Back in those days the high performance end of the parts department had a different name, one of them was Datsun Comp. That end of the parts department is a totally separate entity and you had to access it through the regular dealership parts department. The pump in the pic you posted is definitely a V3 pump. Datsun Comp may have sold it as well, I never bothered to look it up in my old books. I have seen people disconnect the mechanical pump and use just the V3 pump to run SU carbs. ZMOW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts