ZCar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I found a 240 with relatively little rust but the following was found on the PPI. What are everyone’s thoughts on a budget to fix all of this?

electrical issues - rear lights not working, dash indicators not eorking, horn not working, front turn signals not working
Mechanical - oil leaks around engine, rear diff leaking, diff connection at wheels leaking, fuel tank sealed with jbweld + silicon (leaking)
Body - bondo cracking on front quarter panel, r subframe patch of rust not going through metal (otherwise no rust.)

car drives well

brakes 30%

I know this is a black box here but are we talking 3k, 5k, 10k or 20k. Trying to figure out if I should just get the car for really cheap or pass entirely.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Depends on how much you can do yourself or how much you want to invest in these repairs.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
how much did you pay for it?
might be an investment if you have the room and the time for it.
do you just want to get it working and a have a running Z or are you wanting a restore? that's what you need to ask yourself.
remember these cars are going up in value and price every year. might be best to grab it at the opportunity.

Bon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a series 1 240z that I could get for 15k. But I really want something that is sorted I can just drive right away and fix things as they happen. Is that 15k too good to pass up? It also is non original color so I would need to paint at some point. I feel like I could probably get a nice sorted 240 (maybe not series 1) for 22k.

thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any thoughts on if that series 1 is worth 14k? That’s the price I’m at with the guy. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,586 Posts
I wouldn't do it for a car needing that much mechanical and body work. Just my opinion, and I'm not feeling driven to have a series 1 Z-car. I see months of DIY work, a possible engine rebuild and an expensive paint job. I'd rather pay $20,000 and get a nicer one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s great. Exactly the opinion I’m looking for. Thanks for the reply.
Have an eye on a few more. One has some ugly spoiler type body kit stuff. Looks like 2 screw holes will be on the hatch and each rear quarter panel as well as wherever the front spoiler mounts. Fortunately no stuff on the sides. Otherwise looks like a good car. Suspect no one has bought it because it looks like a 1970s Camaro with the spoilers however I’m using my imagination a bit to see the potential. Seems to be original paint and interior. Will probably get that one inspected. Series 2. I don’t care about series either however they seem to be worth more so I figure it’s a consideration at the least.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What’s everyone’s thought on a non matching car? I found a restored one for 30 but nothings matching. Vin is 1973 but has the vents in rear hatch and I’m assuming the engine is also not matching.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
keep looking
Now I found one local that is 28k fully restored also non matching engine but it’s been rebuilt and it is a super nice car. Other parts are all original just not the engine How important is the matching engine in you’re opinion? It’s the appropriate engine and all rebuilt just not matching.

28k seems good for an otherwise restored car.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1973 Datsun 240Z
4 Posts
Buying a turn-key 240z with possible no-rust, with most of the parts intact is best way to go. Number matching engine/body is good when you are looking to restore to OEM original. I think a good decision which 240z to buy is what you want to do with the car...having a dependable car to drive anywhere/ enjoy having a Datsun sports car. You should start with a list of all the items you like to have on the 240z: color, engine size stock or modified, trans type, condition of interior, condition of paint/ rust or no rust. No electrical issues or mechanical issues .If you find a 240z with minor issues that you can correct to make it your car. Wheels and tires can to change anytime easily. I have notice prices vary from $10-15k needing a lot or work, paint, interior, mechanical, electrical. You will find a clean 240z $20-30k, if you wait and keep looking for the 240z with the items on your list, you will be rewarded. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks like you did very well.
That looks like a car a friend restored a few years ago before selling it and then moving away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts