ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has done, or knows of, an engine/tranny swap to the later model 240sx 4 cylinder sixteen valve type engine.
I have had two 240sx and two 240z. This current 240z needs an engine and tranny. Comparing with my current 240sx, both cars have many similarites. If one were to raise the hood of both cars and look into both engine bays, one can quite safely say the the 240sx engine is an 'evolved' version of the 240z's. Obviously, no one can deny the original six-cylinder a place in the nissan heritage.
Given that, I like to hear your comments and criticisms of the idea of putting a 1990s 240sx engine/tranny into a 240z. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> I am wondering if anyone has done, or knows
> of, an engine/tranny swap to the later model
> 240sx 4 cylinder sixteen valve type engine.
> I have had two 240sx and two 240z. This
> current 240z needs an engine and tranny.
> Comparing with my current 240sx, both cars
> have many similarites. If one were to raise
> the hood of both cars and look into both
> engine bays, one can quite safely say the
> the 240sx engine is an 'evolved' version of
> the 240z's.

How so? The 240SX has a four-banger transplanted out of Nissan's tractors er^H^H^H^Hpickup trucks. Nice torky little unit, but it has some serious issues with vibration, from the last time I drove a 240SX. I don't think it's by any means an evolution from the L-series motor, but rather at best a side-development to meet the needs of the average farm owner or commercial contractor.

That's not to say that it's without merit -- as usual with Nissan, the 240SX engine bay looked to be a pleasure to work with. But there's no way on earth that a 240SX motor could compete with the L-series motors for smoothness and tractability. :)
Not unless Nissan decided later to put in a bunch of balance shafts. I say stick with the L-series.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
> Given that, I like to hear your comments and
> criticisms of the idea of putting a 1990s
> 240sx engine/tranny into a 240z. Thanks.

I'm sure you'll get your share of truck engine messages (as have already started in the forum), but as both a Z guy and a 240SX guy, I'll offer my suggestions.

For starters, the 240SX engine/tranny setup should be a fairly straight forward swap, assuming you come up with some alternate method of fueling it. You could, of course, swap the whole FI setup, but that would probably be more hassle than it's worth. I know some of the NASPORT racers use a carb setup on the 12V motor, so you may be able to get a manifold through Nissan Motorsports.

Despite this, I'd recommend sticking with the L-series engines, for a number of reasons (and from no fault of the KA24E and KA24DE engines):

A) Cost. Unless you already have the parts available to you, the KA series parts are going to cost you considerably more than a nice L-series setup.

B) Complexity. While it's not going to be a terribly difficult setup, you'll end up fabricating motor mounts, tranny mounts, etc.

C) Aftermarket parts support. The performance aftermarket is just starting to realize that there's people out here that want performance parts for the KA series engines. The L-series has a well established line of suppliers ready to sell you lots of go-fast goodies.

D) Horsepower. The '90 engine you propose to swap in is rated at 140hp, about what your original L24 was rated at. Mind you, these are both 2.4 liter engines, but the L24 was carbuerated and using 1960's technology, while the KA24E is fuel injected (more smog equipment, though) using 1980's technology. If you're going to swap in a replacement engine, go for something with a little more power.

My personal suggestion would be to use a L28/P79 setup from an '82-ish 280ZX. It will bolt right up (same motor mounts, everything), appear basically stock to all but the most closely watching z-nuts, and provide better performance than either your L24 or the KA24E.

Don't get me wrong, the KA24E is an excellent engine. It's very stout and can handle fair amounts (5-8psi) of boost on stock internals, if that's the route you want to take. But, for this particular application, the L-series is probably a better bet.

Just my $.02, feel free to e-mail me with questions/comments.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
A 4 is only a 4.

> I'm sure you'll get your share of
> truck engine messages (as have
> already started in the forum), but as both a
> Z guy and a 240SX guy, I'll offer my
> suggestions.

> For starters, the 240SX engine/tranny setup
> should be a fairly straight forward swap,
> assuming you come up with some alternate
> method of fueling it. You could, of course,
> swap the whole FI setup, but that would
> probably be more hassle than it's worth. I
> know some of the NASPORT racers use a carb
> setup on the 12V motor, so you may be able
> to get a manifold through Nissan
> Motorsports.

> Despite this, I'd recommend sticking with
> the L-series engines, for a number of
> reasons (and from no fault of the KA24E and
> KA24DE engines):

> A) Cost. Unless you already have the parts
> available to you, the KA series parts are
> going to cost you considerably more than a
> nice L-series setup.

> B) Complexity. While it's not going to be a
> terribly difficult setup, you'll end up
> fabricating motor mounts, tranny mounts,
> etc.

> C) Aftermarket parts support. The
> performance aftermarket is just starting to
> realize that there's people out here that
> want performance parts for the KA series
> engines. The L-series has a well established
> line of suppliers ready to sell you lots of
> go-fast goodies.

> D) Horsepower. The '90 engine you propose to
> swap in is rated at 140hp, about what your
> original L24 was rated at. Mind you, these
> are both 2.4 liter engines, but the L24 was
> carbuerated and using 1960's technology,
> while the KA24E is fuel injected (more smog
> equipment, though) using 1980's technology.
> If you're going to swap in a replacement
> engine, go for something with a little more
> power.

> My personal suggestion would be to use a
> L28/P79 setup from an '82-ish 280ZX. It will
> bolt right up (same motor mounts,
> everything), appear basically stock to all
> but the most closely watching z-nuts, and
> provide better performance than either your
> L24 or the KA24E.

> Don't get me wrong, the KA24E is an
> excellent engine. It's very stout and can
> handle fair amounts (5-8psi) of boost on
> stock internals, if that's the route you
> want to take. But, for this particular
> application, the L-series is probably a
> better bet.

> Just my $.02, feel free to e-mail me with
> questions/comments.
A four banger is only a four banger. There is something very visceral about cracking open that big long six. And the sounds.....I think most guys here will agree, one of the best features of the six is the sound of the exhaust.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I definately agree w/Doug, Dave, and Simon. Especially Simon, who appreciates the incredible sound the L6 makes at WOT. Add tripple sidedraught carbs, header, 2.5 exhaust and good cam and it'll really get up and go. And that sound!!! I used to have a 240Z w/tripple Webers on a 3.0L L28 w/E88 head (ported/polished), Isky cam and valvetrain, and Hooker header. The sound was just incredible!!! It makes my heart race just thinking about it. Now it's turbocharged and quiet as could be. Boring.

So, do you want to sell one of the KA24E motors? I'm looking for a good powerplant for my '69 510 Wagon.

Ian.

> I am wondering if anyone has done, or knows
> of, an engine/tranny swap to the later model
> 240sx 4 cylinder sixteen valve type engine.
> I have had two 240sx and two 240z. This
> current 240z needs an engine and tranny.
> Comparing with my current 240sx, both cars
> have many similarites. If one were to raise
> the hood of both cars and look into both
> engine bays, one can quite safely say the
> the 240sx engine is an 'evolved' version of
> the 240z's. Obviously, no one can deny the
> original six-cylinder a place in the nissan
> heritage.
> Given that, I like to hear your comments and
> criticisms of the idea of putting a 1990s
> 240sx engine/tranny into a 240z. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> I'm sure you'll get your share of
> truck engine messages (as have
> already started in the forum)

The essential point is not that it comes from a truck, per se, but rather that it has a basic lack of refinement, that you could get away with in a truck, but that in many people's opinions you _can't_ get away with in a car with the ( marketing? ) aspirations of the 240SX. Note the 240 designation...

Don't get me wrong, I _liked_ the 240SX. I considered buying one when it came out. If only they coulda put an L28 in it... Pity.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.