ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all you'r input guys[no offense if there are any girls out there]I am pretty sure my differential is shot.The thing is I can't find any place that sells them except maybe a dealership and they are way to expensive for me to afford.One good thing of good news is that the place I pull to use the phone when my car broke down the guy there told me he had a friend who works on nissans and and had a 240z [he wants to turn it into a street racer] and had a parts car and might help.I called his friend and found out that he has a 240sx not a 240z.He asked what differential my car used I said I think it is a R200,and he said that the 240sx used that also.So I am wondering if it would fit my 1984 300z xturbo?He didn't know but he thought so.Does anybody know if I could swap the differential out of his partscar?
Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
try it , its said that they are identical, but if you are going to do it try to do it with an lsd , and if it works out let us know , as z31 lsds are impossible to find and alot of people are looking for cheap remedy. good luck

·
Registered
782 Posts
Im not sure but I think the 240sx diff has different hole locations where it mounts to the IRS.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
"yeah you will have to take it out of the pumkin (the housing) and change the internals from one to the other."

are you sure this is true? the housings are identical except the back cover, which could easily be swapped but i don't even think that is necessary. I thought they just dropped right in as long as the axel flanges were the same.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think the 240sx has only two mounting holes instead of 4 and also they call the 300zx housing long snout , and the lsd's i see inebay from 240's has the short snout , i dont know but it seems easy to swap dhousings and gears

·
Registered
861 Posts
You can use R200's from Skylines, but the downside is it is no cheaper than just buying from the dealership or going with an aftermarket as far as LSD goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.