ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see u have a N42 up for sale. What are u asking for it?? It is almost exactely what I need because the head I found was warped and cracked.
If u don't want to post the price on the forum just E-mail me.

Dustin

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: "240 Turbo" please read below!!!<

I never gave a price. The head was milled .060" and has 41.8cc chambers. I was going to run the head but my calculations were that my new turbo motor would have a 9.5:1 compression. I also noticed 1 hairline crack between the valves on the #2 chamber and 2 hairline cracks on 2 of the waterjacket holes. They both appear to be superficial. I called my machinist and he said that he has seen this many times and people have no problem running the head. It was pressure tested and is fine. He told me that I could send him the head and he would weld up the cracks, mill the head .003", and perform a valvejob on the #2 cylinder. The N-42 is a bare head with only the SS valves. It has had a full race port job and portmatched to the gasket. This head will definetly make an N/A motor scream. I will ask about the repair cost, I can't imagine it being more than $125. If I sell it, it will be for more than a fair price. The bare head w/SS valves has about $750 invested in it. I would definetly sell it for less than half of that.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Head</b>

The chamber volume is almost identical with that of the E-31. This head combined with the dished piston motor will give you between 8.8:1 and 8.9:1 compression. The N-42 head was designed to run with a dished motor because of the recessed quench area. Just some info for you!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Head

I guess when I put a cam in I will have to put tower shims in with it?? It does have the towers in it right??
How much for the shims would u guess??
If I ran with the flattop L28 I would get close to 10:1 or more??

Dustin.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Head</b>

You would need ot shim the towers. .080" worth of shims would run about $75, they come in .020" thickness. I would guess that .060" worth of shims would cost about $55. Any local auto store should carry them. The head does not come with cam towers, but I could get some from my local pick-n-pull for cheap. You would be over 10:1 with a flattop motor and would not be advisable to run on pump gas. I have an HKS 2mm headgasket I am selling, you would then only need to shim .020" and would give you a compression of about 9.7:1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.