ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday and up untill then it was fine. All that was done since then is that I took a compression test last night. Today when I was leaving to go to work , the needle wouldent go past 1k, everything else seems normal just the tach has gone bonkers. My Question is , is there a contact that could have gotten wet when I was driving in the rain yesterday, or was croded and is giving out? Or is this just that the car is about 30 years old the tach needs to be replaced. If you can shed anny light on this please do. Thanks Gary Portland PS has annyone installed a tach from a later 280 ,if so what year do you recommend and any advise will certanly be apriciated thanks ..

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Gary----------Sounds like your tach is about to go south. I had one that wouldn't go back to zero, and opened it up to see if I could fix the problem. There are a lot of electronic parts inside, and I took one look and decided I was in over my head. I wound up switching to the tach in my parts car.

The tach from a 280 can be adapted to work on a 240, in fact this is one of the things you must consider when upgrading the 240 to electronic ignition. The most common method seems to be to swap the guts from the 280 tach into the 240 housing, using the 240 faceplate and needle so the redline stays the same. I'm about to do this one myself.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.