ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brakes on my 240 have no pedal feel,the car still stops fine,infact the brakes are kind of grabby.The pedal feels like when you are bleeding brakes and you have the bleed screw open(the bleed screws are not open).I flushed the system with new fluid so I know there is no air in the lines.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Probably a worn master cylinder...

I would say it's a worn master cylinder. I'd replace it with a larger 280ZX style unit. This is a direct bolt in replacement. It's Bore is 15/16" compared to 7/8" for the 240 Master Cylinder. While 1/16" larger bore doesn't sound like much, it's a 7% increase in bore area and really helps with pedal effort.
Or, if you want to retain the stock one, you can buy a replacement or get a rebuild kit. The rebuild kit works well, so long as the internal bore of the master cylinder isn't scored. If it is, you will have to hone it out, and then it won't seal that well, which would make the repair kit no good.

Also, I highly recommend installing Stainless Braided brake lines. I found mine to be in pretty bad shape. You can buy them at Motorsports Auto or even Earls Products. They not only give a firmer pedal and better feel, but they look cool too.

Dave

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
Pushrod loose?

Mine was similar, and no matter how much fluid I bled, it wouldn't get better. Went out and got a new M/C, climbed under the dash and found the jamb nut on the M/C pushrod had come loose and vibrated in, giving me the spongy feel like the M/C was internally bypassing. Put it right and it's been fine since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.