ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 77 280 and it needs a good bit of work like a new windshield,the quarter panel has rust around the gas lid it needs fenders but the floor pans are good. I found a72 240 for 1800.00 and it mainly needs cosmetics and a little tuning I think I will be better of putting my money into the 240 it should be worth quite a bit more right? What are some of your opinions? I'm trying to justify buying this car.

· Registered
5,716 Posts
240 is about 500-600 pounds lighter, therefore faster and more nimble, looks better with the smaller bumpers, carbs are not as glitchy as FI, doesn't need to be smogged (at least in CA) and is ultimately worth more at resale time. Plus, if you wanted, you could swap the '77 motor into it. On the other side of the coin, if you invested that $1,800 in the '77, you'd also have a pretty nice Z. My 2¢.

· Registered
3,488 Posts
I agree with JR. I would tend to lean more to getting the 240. If you have the room and the inclination, keep the 280 for parts. Most of the interior parts will NOT be interchangeable. Also not much under the hood except the engine itself.

Or dump the 280 for whatever you can get out of it and put the money toward freshening up the 240.

It is really tough making suggestions when you can't actually look at both cars up close. But it sounds like you are leaning to getting the 240 anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.