Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;
I've recently obtained a 260 shell with new floors / rails etc already done (the hard stuff!) It was an auto tranny model. I'd like to drop in a 240 / 4-speed standard tranny drivetrain in it. Does anybody know if the mounts (particularly the tranny mount) is the same and is it an easy drop-in?

HELP!
....CB

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont have the answer to your question but you sound like you have dealt with frame rails before i am looking at a 240z that has a bent frame rail and i was wondering if you knew how to fix it , or if it was worth buying ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
It sounds like you have a nice frame but you really need to be thinking of dropping in a 280Z (L28) drivetrain. The reason Datsun built bigger engines is because they kept building bigger cars. The 260 Chassis is bigger (read heavier) then the 240, and the 280 in turn is bigger than the 260. By putting a 240 (L24) engine in your 260 you are underpowering it. It won't be a dog but as long as you're doing all this work you should think over all your options. No matter which way you do it be sure to have fun!!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Yes you can do it. You can do anything with these first-gen machines. Especially if you already have the 240 stuff and it works. But it will take a lot of hard work....

There's more to it than just swapping transmissions, The 240 Z standard and the 260Z auto may not have the same flywheel specs. You'll need to check that.

Also, you're gonna have to install a clutch pedal and do a lot of other stuff related to the swap. It's a heck of a lot easier to go from a standard to an auto than the other way around.

You can do it, but you'll have your work cut out for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.