ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a `72 240 with the stock 3 spd auto transmission. The transmission is acting up-slipping in first and reverse. It has never had a rebuild and the odometer's turned over at least once. What I want to know is, is there a later model transmission that will fit in my z? I want to stick with the automatic because I don't feel up to the challenge of converting to stick. I'm looking for something better than the stock 3spd. Is there such a thing? -Jason.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would look into the 280zx auto trans it would probably be the strongest but do some research on the gear ratios I'm not sure what diff they are coupled with. Maybe even the 280zxt auto trans havn't looked to see what is different maybe somebody will be able to tell you. Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up to 82 280zx the transmission will bolt right in, with 83 being a lock up trans. I have seen those installed as well as the maxima overdrive automatics. Good luck, Joe

·
Premium Member
40,970 Posts
84 MAXIMA FOUR-SPEED AUTOMATIC WITH LOCKUP!!!!!
Dick Denno from Group Z So Cal put this in his 72. Worked great. You can find him in the IZCC listing. The 4-speed o.d. allows the lower diff ratios from a 280zx to be used for better pickup, and still get decent mileage. Just up the line pressure and add a better tranny cooler and it'll hold just about anything non-turbo that you want to throw at it.
If you're going through the truoble to put the 83 trans with lockup, get the 4-speed. Dick's car is neat, and he's an engineer, so I'm sure he'll have a detailed response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.