ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Yes, I did search the archives for info on this swap, but none of the links i found still worked. Would I be able to swap a 215 aluminum V-8 (or one of its versions) into my 1979 280ZX? I was wondering, because my dad has a 63 olds cutlass with that exact engine in it, and as we were searching for parts, we found some extra 215's. Thanks for any info.

TJ

·
Registered
887 Posts
I considered that same swap and desided that the 350 would be better because of the tranny options,your dads car should have a power glide 2 speed and I'm not sure that you can get a different trans that will work.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My Dad's friend put a 215 Aluminum buick v-8 in his 240 and used a Cosworth Vega 5-Speed behind it...still on the road today....somewhere on some island in Washington State...crazy guy

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to know a guy in Denver that put one in his 510, ran great and he claimed the 215 was over 100 lbs lighter than the L20 it replaced, would be a cool swap IMO, his sure looked cool.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
What kind of hp and torque can you get out of the 215? A good friend has 5 sitting in his barn with various trannys. They are light but I've heard the power potential is not there and parts are hard to find.

Matt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Does your good friend want to sell any of those engines? I shure would be interested in one! I believe a stock 215 with a 4-barrel carb makes 185 hp, and they can be modded for much more hp. Parts can be hard to find, but they are out there, and there is a little aftermarket support too. If someone needs parts I can give them the names of catalouges my dad has for the 215 in his f-85.

TJ ;)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: 215 Aluminum V-8 Swap-Why?

I don't get it. What's the point of this plan:
More power, spending money, wasting time or recycling scrap?

All you'll do is the last three. If you want a V-8, why not the old S/B Chevy with a bunch of alum. parts like the W/Pump and manifold and rad. to lighten the car; and, tube headers may save some more wt. As for power, you'd be giving away a lot of cubic inches for very little gain in the 215.

You will then have a more powerful and cheaper plan that has a world of proven experience behind it. This is a reason that the old 215 alum. V-8 isn't seen. (I know, it was sold to the Brits. - good riddance)

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I'll ask, last time we were talking about some machine work he took me out to this barn to show me an example of something, we walk in and there are all these aluminum V8's. I was suprised and curious, he said they were his and and old friends - apperently they still have a car for each one. I mentioned I thought it would fit nicely in my Z and he laughed and said we'll see. I'm not sure what that meant but I'll ask him and see.

Matt

·
Registered
5,935 Posts

I agree, but someone might be interested just to do it, someone with alot more time and money than me. I personally would like to see one but I know that the end result would be no where near what I want. It sounds like you could get a decent HP # no ones said anything about how torquey they are or aren't. I'd like to know a little more about the engine just out of curiosity. There nice looking little engines that could be used in something smaller and lighter than the Z, maybe a Fiat or 1st gen RX7 or a Dime, hmm.

Matt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

IMO:The 215 can put out some impressive hp, either with its turbocharged version (GM's first!), or boring it out to a 327. Not only could it equal the hp a sbc could put out, but it would be much lighter too. I think the british put a version of the 215 into one of their MG sports cars, which would make one fast little car.

The plan would pretty much be, more hp, less front end weight (also less overall weight), for some more money than a sbc (but i think it would be worth it).

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
215 to a 327 is a big jump

Does the block have that much meat between the cylinder to allow that much bore? And I take it theres a crank kit? I had no idea you could get these engines to a 327.

Matt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: 215 to a 327 is a big jump

It does have to be stroked. I also heard that there is some machining that has to be done so that oiling problems don't rear their ugly heads. I believe www.zspecialties.com has more info.

TJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.