ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question 1

I have a 77 z in need of an engine. I want a engine that will go in without changing or splicing any of the wire harness. what year engine will fit and what year engine is the best fit (77-83 will fit right)?

2. I do have a engine to put in the car but it is low compression but even (120 cold). So, to change over the intakes, do i just remove the bolts holding the intake on, or do i have to pull the injector rails and hoses and... It seems to me that going to the junks and pulling an engine or buying one (from the adds on this board),you guys recomend would be easier.

What would you do on a budget of $300 for an engine?

any help would be great, i am getting close to needing an engine.

thanks, jason

· Registered
600 Posts
1. Any L28 engine will fit in without splicing. I would pick out a ZX engine myself as the have a few internal improvements in the block. Research the type of head, some are better than others.
2. You can pull the intake with the injectors and fuel rail attached. It's a little more awkward, but it will save time and effort in the long run.

· Registered
600 Posts
Any non-turbo engine....as long as it's a L28. You may have to trade out the temperature sensor cluster (below the themostat housing) as the later models used a engine block temperature sensor (between #5 & #6 sparkplugs) rather than a water temperature sensor. You should also keep your original distributor. BTW Leave the a/c compressor with your car rather than unhook the freon lines. It'll bolt up to the new engine as the mounts are the same.
Good luck!
Retro

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
BEWARE!

The Exhaust manifold from a ZX WILL NOT FIT YOUR HEADPIPE!
It is no big deal to swap the intake/exhaust manifolds. The late ZX intakes will fit, simply plug you sensor harness into where it needs to be, you just have a few "spare" sensors on the ZX.
I know, I did this swap, and have just recently removed the intake/exhaust and reinstalled the Early Z units (I have a welder, so the headpipe was not a problem for me...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.