ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2.6l skyline engine with ecm, harness ,transmision,turbos intercooler. Can I fit this engine in my 72 240z? And where can I find parts for this engine, like gaskets, cams water pump etc.?

·
Registered
863 Posts
> I found a 2.6l skyline engine with ecm,
> harness ,transmision,turbos intercooler. Can
> I fit this engine in my 72 240z? And where
> can I find parts for this engine, like
> gaskets, cams water pump etc.?
Heck ya. With some mods to the exhaust and motor mounts (a couple other things to) you should have a 250HP or more turbo 240Z. As for parts the only way I know to get parts is straight from Japan (thats the only place this motor was suppose to be sold).

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you finish this swap you will have one very very very badd assss car!!!!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
where did you get this engine;)? and where can i get one:)? heh i have some friends in japan maybe they can smuggle me over one:)
thanks
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> where did you get this engine;)? and
where
> can i get one:)? heh i have some
friends in
> japan maybe they can smuggle me over
one:)
> thanks
> yuichi

Your best bet would be SGP out
of Houston,TX (218-479-2475). You can
also try JUN,USA(562-424-7828(ask for
Todd)) they are experts when it comes
to anything Skyline related.

Carlos L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Heck ya. With some mods to the exhaust and
> motor mounts (a couple other things to) you
> should have a 250HP or more turbo 240Z. As
> for parts the only way I know to get parts
> is straight from Japan (thats the only place
> this motor was suppose to be sold).

What car did this motor come in?

·
Registered
863 Posts
> What car did this motor come in?
The car is called a Skyline. Sold in Japan only. Its a 2dr sedan (a factory hotrod family car). The motor is bullet proof, I seen a article on one that produced over 1100 twin turbocharged HP (non Nitrous). Some are all-wheel drive and go 0-60mph (factory everything, motor, tires, everything) in the mid 4 second range.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Any pictures of this Skyline,sounds interestingn/c

> The car is called a Skyline. Sold in Japan
> only. Its a 2dr sedan (a factory hotrod
> family car). The motor is bullet proof, I
> seen a article on one that produced over
> 1100 twin turbocharged HP (non Nitrous).
> Some are all-wheel drive and go 0-60mph
> (factory everything, motor, tires,
> everything) in the mid 4 second range.
n/c

·
Registered
71 Posts

Nissan Australia imported about 100 of these 2.6L Skylines for homologation into our local Touring Car race series. They dominated the series - like the Ford Sierra Cosworths had done prior to their arrival. It's a long story, but our fans (at one stage labelled a pack of arseholes on live TV by a Skyline driver on the winner's podium after a hostile reception) only wanted to see Aussie V8's win and after a rule change, our Touring Car series is now made up of only two makes of Aussie V8 cars. :-(

The Skyline was labelled a Nissan Skyline GT-R (Body Number BNR32 or BNR33) and had traction control, twin turbos, intercooler, four wheel drive, four wheel steering(?), two door, etc. etc. a very advanced car. It was nicknamed Godzilla for being so powerful and coming out of Japan.

The GT-R was a high performance end of the Skyline range. There were also garden-variety 4-door Skylines with plain rear wheel drive, non-turbo, auto box, etc. So it is not a purpose build supercar, just re-engineered into a supercar. Pictured at:

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0060/P_1/article.html

The 2.6L motor fitted was an RB26DETT (for RB-series, 2.6 Litre, Double overhead cam, Electronic engine management, Twin Turbo). The lesser models used RB25DE(T) (2.5L DOHC, Electronic, with or without a single Turbo), or RB20DE(T) (2.0L). Some Australian-only cars have ran an RB30E(T) single overhead cam 3 litre motor introduced in 1986 (when unleaded fuel was introduced here), but as this was an expensive motor to import, our local manufacturer changed to using the Buick 3.8L V6 a few year later. All of the RB series motors are smooth and strong motors that are often modified to over 500hp *without* any bottom end work!

A description of the RB series can be found at:

http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/engines.html
http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/

have a conversions page that will eventually cover some 240 and 260Z engine swaps (we never saw the 280Z). I have already seen in magazines RB-series motors fitted to early Z-cars - they're very similar in size and layout to the L-series (obviously derived somehow). I've even heard of a four wheel drive, twin turbo Z-car based on the RB26 motor. The RB is a cross flow head, so the motor slants the other way, and the sump bowl is at the wrong end, so a custom sump is required.

The GT-R Skyline weighed 1560kg and could run mid-13 to mid-14 second quarters. Imagine one in a light weight Z tuned to 705hp as at:

<A HREF=http://www.autospeed.com/A_0042/P_1/article.html>http://www.autospeed.com/A_0042/P_1/article.html</A>

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.