ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
zaweet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, a complete rebuild of honed block, new pistons and bearings, rebuilt heads, etc. Here's the rest of the pictures. I can show the whole mod list if interested and if I can remember everything.





Cleaned up all of the slag from the welds on the exhaust manifolds, it had from 50 to 100 thousandths of extra junk to hinder flow! I'll try to get some pics of the whole car up next week when I wash it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha ha (sarcastic) I wish that was the case. I had to rebuild due to some major problems, and I did it myself save money (which I don't have much of anymore) and I like working on cars. The rebuild ended up costing me $1900 which included new ptu and knock sensor, so I figure I saved a good bit of money. The bad thing is that I was planning on doing a TT swap after graduating college next Christmas, and wanted the car to run for just one more year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
Didn't mean that you were playing around.. I just need a project. I think getting an engine, and tearing it down, rebuilding, upgrading, ect... would be enjoyable for me. I love to work on cars too.... tho I'm not as experienced as you. Don't know if I'd attempt an engine pull as of yet...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,943 Posts
You rebuilt a n/a engine? If saving money was your plan you should have just swapped an already good running one. It isn't hard to find n/a engines for a grand or under. You wouldn't end up with as good of a setup as what you have with now, but it would have been much less labor intensive and at least a little cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about a used motor, but figured I might as well spend a little more and have peace of mind. As far as the wiring goes, it is a bit of trouble, but if you mark everything first or have a diagram it kind of falls in place. I only had to figure out where about 3 connections went, and the rest was simple enough. The hardest thing for me was the initial removal of the tranny, since the upper passenger side bolt is very, very hard to get to on the A/T. I ended up using about 40 inches worth of extensions with a swivel to get it. Also, the head bolts have to be torqued so tight that it takes 1-2 people to hold the motor from twisting since I don't have an engine stand.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top