ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so im giving the Z her first oil change, i got 4 quarts of 5-30 mobil synthetic and a fram filter, just wonder how much oil it usually takes u guys, the book at the store said 3.2 but the guy wasnt sure if that included the filter too. I wont be changing it till tomorrow but any advice is appricated, thanks in advance. - noelers

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
few notes

&#8226 Nissan recommends 10W-30 for ambient temps above -4&#176 F

&#8226 The oil capacity should be 3-5/8 quarts WITH the oil filter (for 1991-1996 Z32s)

&#8226 Slowly back away from that Fram filter and get an OEM Nissan one: 15208-55Y00. (Your local dealer's parts dept. should have one for $5 or $6.)

good luck!

Post Edited (Jan 10, 12:33pm)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
3rd ^^ on the fram crap filters

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Well you can be not sure how much belongs and still not over fill it. Just put in 3 quarts and check the stick to make sure its full and start the car to let the oil cycle through the filter then shut her down and let sit for some time and check the stick and fill till the oil level is correct.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: Try Search for filters

Notes for all future Z32 oil changes:

We conducted a major discussion here regarding appropriate oil filters just a few months ago. Lots of links and studies were included. Very informative. My swiss cheese brain remembers that the construction of the Nissan filter was virtually the same as all low cost filters on the market, surprisingly. In other words, quite lightweight. I have not tried to find that discussion via search, but I recommend it to others.

For my two cents, I am really dubious about high anxiety over oil filters when most of us change them by 3000 miles, hardly enough time to really destroy one is it? Although many posters found the Fram to be too wimpy, I have used them for many years with no complaints.

The bottom line recommendation from that debate seemed to be the high end PURE ONE by Purolator. The price at my local PepBoys was very competitive. As a result, I bought that filter the other day instead of my customary Fram.

I'll inform everybody if my 1/4 miles times drop by a second. LOL

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Mobile One and K&N Oil Filter. More money, but worth every penny. Every time I change my oil the K&N filter has grabbed all the little crap and the iol comes out look nice a gold as the day I put it in. I swear by the k&n oil filter.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Oil filters are like fuel injectors only about 5 companys out there make them then they are just relabled. But seeing as how I dont know who makes Nissans oil filters just buy the Nissan filter.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't know about others but my car actually takes a bit more then 4 qts to fill. It is a pain though because the dam dipstick never reads very well. after putting in four quarts it reads about 1/3 to 1/2 way up on the dipstick. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with mine but the FSM does say a little over 3.5 quarts. It's probably just best to try and see.

As far as the filter goes I'm not sure why every one screams OEM. the OEM is just a rebranded filter, though I do hear fram sucks but i've never used one. I personally use a Pure ONE fileter and have good results.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Good choice on oil besides the weight. Get a mobil one filter or a higher quality one if you want the best for your z. If people bother changing their oil so often, it is idiotic to use this to justify using cheap crap to do it with. The OEM oil filter is probably just fine, but under racing type conditions I wouldn't be surprised if it is subpar. I switched from OEM to high quality aftermarket oil filters after reading 100's of articles about it. OEM oil isn't exactly the best either if you didn't notice.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm with EverettDave on this one. I know which comparision test he was talking about and even though it wasn't the Z32, I'm willing to bet Nissan didn't make much changes on the oil filter interal construction to the Z33 filter.

I've used the Fram filters with not a single problem. All I'd like to know is why everyone else jumps in to say that Fram is crap. Most the time the people that say that have never even used it and just gone off what others have said. As for those that have used it and encountered a problem, did anyone take the time to see if it was a fluke or something else that caused the filter to break?

With that kind of thinking, everytime something goes wrong with the Z...well then it must be because the Z is crap so stay away from the Z. It also is the same when people get good service from a company yet some have bad experiences with the same company and automatically start bad mouthing the company and telling everyone to avoid them.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
on oil filters, i'd stick to PureOne(i use it), Mobil 1, K&N, or OEM i spose. While the toyota i drive has had nothing but Fram and is fine and the filters and oil seem to be fine afterward , i'd still go elsewere cause of there bad rep. itself.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
oh yeah, oil, i'm using Castrol GTX high mileage. THinkin bout trying Royal Purple for my 8whp increase!!!

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
I think GTX is some of the best oil out there seriously. My last 240sx I owned thats all I put in it and I gave that car ****. Never had a single problem out of it for that matter its still running strong two owners later and I know its being autoX religiously oh yeah sorry for the hijack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.