ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing the PS hose this morning and put the Z back together since the weather was going to be so nice today and when I started it I heard a rubbing/metalic noise...

All the timing marks were lined up perfectly so that was not the metalic scratching noise.

Now I have to break is all down and buy a new timing belt. At least I don't have to do the water pump or the VTC springs this time.

Any ideas before I go in there? I did change to the HKS VTC springs. Could that have anything to do with it? I'm sure I'll see where it was rubbing once I get it apart again.

Post Edited (Jan 7, 1:48pm)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. That's the new one. I installed it, the VTC springs, and a new water pump about a week or so ago. It was the first time I started the car. I immediately shut the car off when I heard the noise. I got out to look when I heard the noise and that was what I saw. It was my first time changing a timing belt so please, don't be too hard on me. I can't for the life of me figure out what went wrong. Everything looked perfect when I put it back toether. I think that it's rubbing against the lower timing belt cover, but that's just a preliminary hypothesis.

Post Edited (Jan 7, 2:19pm)

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Good job on the catch because it could have been a LOT worse and ruined a perfectly good Ohio trip.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
You are very lucky, but you checked the right things and at the right time. As long as the timing marks are correct you should be ok. Make sure nothing is rubbing and get another person to take a look at it before you start it next time because it is easy to miss something obvious with only one pair of exhausted eyes.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Hard on you, are you kidding?? You did a tough job and played it smart on testing. You are doing fine. Shouldn't be too hard to find the source of the rub, just a bitch to pull everything off again.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Looks like the lower cover is bent, or your tensioner is screwed up. Those are the only 2 places I could imagine would catch and cut up the front of your T-belt.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I left the timing belt cover off so I could see the belt for the first few days. I sure am glad now.

I'm still depressed though.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would be depressed if I didn't catch that and my engine threw up! That was a good idea on leaving the cover off.

BTW, don't you have a web cam in your garage?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd bet that it is the small guard/plate that goes on just before the crankshaft pulley. I've seen this exact same thing happen before on a Z32 right after a timing belt change. It is on backwards. It needs to be curved edge out not in.

'93 2+2 Ultra Red TT'd

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll definitely have a look at that. Thanks.

I think I'll be taking it back apart tomorrow. I'll post pics of what I find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.